[UPDATED] What's Paizo's "Big News"?

Paizo developer Mark Moreland says that "we have big news! You won't believe it when we announce it." He says it in a thread on Paizo's messageboards about Pathfinder Tales novels and their recent publishing deal with Tor, but that's already been announced. Whether the big news is novels-related or RPG-related (or something else entirely) is unknown. What sort of news would be big enough that he'd say we won't believe it when it's announced?

Paizo developer Mark Moreland says that "we have big news! You won't believe it when we announce it." He says it in a thread on Paizo's messageboards about Pathfinder Tales novels and their recent publishing deal with Tor, but that's already been announced. Whether the big news is novels-related or RPG-related (or something else entirely) is unknown. What sort of news would be big enough that he'd say we won't believe it when it's announced?

UPDATE - Mark has clarified (in the comments below):

So, the "big news" was, in fact, the Tor deal.

Sometimes, even years into working at Paizo, something we announce triggers my fanboy circuits and I get overly excited. I'm a huge fan of Pathfinder fiction, and as someone with next to no hand in the content that comes out of it, I can still scratch that fan itch by reading the fiction and not already knowing what's coming next. In that excitement, I made what I thought was a funny joke; the sort of post I might have made as a snarky member of the Paizo fan community rather than a representative of the company.

The post was meant to be something of the "but wait, there's more" exclamation in an infomercial after the deal is already too good to pass up. Turns out, people were already excited about the news and I overshadowed it with nonexistent news.

So be excited about the Tor announcement!

That's the news!

It's as big as it gets!

These are not the droids you're looking for!

I'm going to go back to developing this Campaign Setting book and leave the fiction announcements and excitement management to more qualified individuals. Sorry for the confusion!

Dahak

Explorer
Movie or TV deals are the only logical "big" announcements they could have left.

Some variation of Paizo buying the D&D brand, or Pathfinder becoming a D&D imprint certainly would be big news, but that's all unlikely.

Aren't all the 5e APs outsourced to 3rd party vendors with a good track record of adventure writing? Maybe they are annoucing they will be writing the fall AP story for WoTC. Stranger stuff has happened

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
It's plausible that they're partnering with WotC to make cross compatible products. That would be big and unexpected, yet possibly mutually beneficial.

maybe WoTC is allowing pathfinder to be the official version of 3.x. Include golarion in D&D worlds, etc. Part of their any version of the game you want to play strategy(assuming that version is not 4e of course, but I'll let that slide before my BP rises further)

lyle.spade

Adventurer
If it's from a thread about novels, I'm going to guess it's related to a well-known author who is going to write a Pathfinder novel.

I know that PR is at least in part about hyperbole; however, I think that'd be pretty underwhelming.

Maybe a movie, maybe a TV series of some sort, maybe an agreement with WOTC to convert existing APs to 5e...? I think the last one would be pretty cool. Paizo, in my opinion, has gone around the bend on system bloat, but their stories are still good, and those older APs have some real gems among them. Given that there's a dearth of modules for 5e and WOTC's publishing schedule is so slow at this point, I'd welcome that. Paizo did a good job with updating Rise of the Runelords - maybe that same treatment would be good for 5e players, as it'd effectively make Golarion another DnD world.

casterblaster

First Post
I would be curious to see a PF 2.0 and that would be big news. I would also love to see an official Rise of Runelords 5e treatment but not sure if that would be "Big News you Wont Believe" worthy. It would be really cool if Pazio was able to release some 5e material, that would be like the U.S. finally entering WW2. My interest has been peaked of course so now time to play the crying....I mean waiting game.

Remove ads

Remove ads