• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UPDATED] What's Paizo's "Big News"?

Paizo developer Mark Moreland says that "we have big news! You won't believe it when we announce it." He says it in a thread on Paizo's messageboards about Pathfinder Tales novels and their recent publishing deal with Tor, but that's already been announced. Whether the big news is novels-related or RPG-related (or something else entirely) is unknown. What sort of news would be big enough that he'd say we won't believe it when it's announced?

Paizo developer Mark Moreland says that "we have big news! You won't believe it when we announce it." He says it in a thread on Paizo's messageboards about Pathfinder Tales novels and their recent publishing deal with Tor, but that's already been announced. Whether the big news is novels-related or RPG-related (or something else entirely) is unknown. What sort of news would be big enough that he'd say we won't believe it when it's announced?

UPDATE - Mark has clarified (in the comments below):

So, the "big news" was, in fact, the Tor deal.

Sometimes, even years into working at Paizo, something we announce triggers my fanboy circuits and I get overly excited. I'm a huge fan of Pathfinder fiction, and as someone with next to no hand in the content that comes out of it, I can still scratch that fan itch by reading the fiction and not already knowing what's coming next. In that excitement, I made what I thought was a funny joke; the sort of post I might have made as a snarky member of the Paizo fan community rather than a representative of the company.

The post was meant to be something of the "but wait, there's more" exclamation in an infomercial after the deal is already too good to pass up. Turns out, people were already excited about the news and I overshadowed it with nonexistent news.

So be excited about the Tor announcement!

That's the news!

It's as big as it gets!

These are not the droids you're looking for!

I'm going to go back to developing this Campaign Setting book and leave the fiction announcements and excitement management to more qualified individuals. Sorry for the confusion!

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Who cares? I hate these sort of teaser announcements. Either tell us what it is or keep quiet until you can. This sort of thing always smells like desperation..."um we got nothin' right now, but, soon, we'll be awesome again!"

Not to mention (as this thread shows us) the reality of the "big announcement" never lives up to the speculation and hype. When it finally comes it will be a let-down.

I think that sums it up. Agreed completely. Of all the things guessed at here, I'd be most surprised by (and most impressed with) an OGL announcement that includes other major companies. Perhaps these teasers are all hinting at the same inter-publisher love fest? I can see it now...the execs from WOTC, Paizo, Green Ronin, and others appear together, hand in hand, walking out of a new golden dawn of gaming possibilities....with an awesome score and pyros going off, like the beginning of a Metallica show on the Black tour from '92, or maybe like when Maiden took the stage on their '08 tour...something like that.

Or it's just hyperbole and we'll all be moderately let down.

On second thought, I doubt any of those folks could muster something as cool as those show intros.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Aren't all the 5e APs outsourced to 3rd party vendors with a good track record of adventure writing? Maybe they are announcing they will be writing the fall AP story for WoTC. Stranger stuff has happened

It would make sense to have Paizo do a Greyhawk AP, perhaps based on Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk (since Erik Mona, Jason Bulmahn, and James Jacobs worked on it).

One can hope!

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
It would make sense to have Paizo do a Greyhawk AP, perhaps based on Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk (since Erik Mona, Jason Bulmahn, and James Jacobs worked on it).

One can hope!

Yep. That or TV show/movie. Especially considering D&D is tied up as a movie property, allowing Paizo to beat them to the punch and get their name out in a way that D&D can't at the moment, and when they did in previous attempts, essentially burned any potential bridges they might have made toward the non-gaming community.

Remove ads

Remove ads