• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upgrading Video Card: Suggestions Please

Rackhir

Explorer
Rl'Halsinor said:
Wow! That is impressive! And thanks for the info. Very enlightening. By the way, will a 550 watt power supply be sufficient with such a monster card? How about cooling?

Most likely yes it will be fine as a power supply if it's a decent unit. Mind you the midrange 8800 (probably called 8600 or something like that) won't have the performance of a SLI 7900 set up. As far as cooling and size, it's hard to say given that they haven't been released yet. Odds are it will take up a double slot for the card+cooling/Heat sink.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Rl'Halsinor said:
Wow! That is impressive! And thanks for the info. Very enlightening. By the way, will a 550 watt power supply be sufficient with such a monster card? How about cooling?

One thing to watch with the power supplies is the amps on the 12v rail, which is where the video card gets most of its power from. Most cards have minimum 12v totals that they want- requiring 18 or more amps on the 12v isn't uncommon, and cheaper power supplies might not have that much.

Any power supply that isn't complete crap will have it's output specs listed, and you can dig around video card manufacturer sites or shops like newegg.com to see what the requirements for various cards are.

A lot of power supplies are also now coming with dual 12v rails, which I think is mostly intended for SLI/Crossfire setups. However, if you only have one card, you can probably get away with dual 12v rails that are 20% or so below spec, since the single card will be able to get power from both of them (just not as efficiently as a single, more powerful rail).

I just went through replacing my power supply, which turned out to be slightly too weak for my 6800xt. Replacing it helped boost every game except Oblivion, which still hates me. :(

Remove ads