• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upper_Krust (or anyone)...CR configuration?

Information

First Post
I have recently created some nondeific "unique" beings of rather high power level, and I am having trouble configuring their Challenge Rating. I begin with the obvious, HD, and work my way from there, but some of them have 40+ HD and several unique powers and abilities.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I think CRs - whether high or low - can't be handled with a hard-and-fast formula. So I'd say eyeball it! :p

KDLadage

Explorer
I know it sounds like a cop-out, but Darkness is right. You are going to have to eyeball it.

Use some of the creatures in the MM as a guideline and go. If they get really powerful, play the creature against Big-T and see how they do. Add anotehr Big-T if that was too easy...

Hi all! :)

Darkness said:
I think CRs - whether high or low - can't be handled with a hard-and-fast formula. So I'd say eyeball it! :p

KD Ladage said:
I know it sounds like a cop-out, but Darkness is right. You are going to have to eyeball it.

Use some of the creatures in the MM as a guideline and go. If they get really powerful, play the creature against Big-T and see how they do. Add anotehr Big-T if that was too easy...

...oh ye of little faith! :D

I can, and have devised an almost 'iron-clad' method for devising the CR of ANY monster; character or deity...

KD Ladage said:
I have recently created some nondeific "unique" beings of rather high power level, and I am having trouble configuring their Challenge Rating. I begin with the obvious, HD, and work my way from there, but some of them have 40+ HD and several unique powers and abilities.

Any suggestions?

..the only problem is that I recently submitted it as an article to a certain magazine. So I don't think it would be prudent to go splashing it about. (Incidently - it is part of the Immortals Handbook).

If you give me Monster Type; Class Levels/Hit Dice; Divine Rank (if any) and Special Attacks/Special Qualities (non Divine Rank related) I can give you CR though.

Remove ads