Urban Bounty Hunter from SCAG Courtesy of Extra Life

ad_hoc: How do you keep finding these things? I've been looking and looking and refreshing and refreshing. Still nothing!

[MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION]: How do you keep finding these things? I've been looking and looking and refreshing and refreshing. Still nothing!

Paraxis

Explorer
People do understand that the flexibility isn't new, the rules say you can make any background you want by picking any two skills, a combination of any two languages or tool proficiencies, and picking any background feature and tweaking it slightly.

Heck if you don't use custom backgrounds than having two fixed rigid skill proficiencies is still flexible as if you gain a proficiency you already have from race or class you can again by the rules pick any skill proficiency you want. For example if you are a rogue who takes sleight of hand and stealth for class choices and then takes the urchin background you get to replace those two skill proficiencies with any two you want so for whatever reason you could take religion and arcana, and your second thieves tools proficiency becomes any other tool proficiency in the game.

gyor

Legend
The background is very good and very flexible, I can see it being very popular. I wonder if all the backgrounds are designed this way.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Awesome, cant wait to check out these new character builds. The bounty hunter sounds like a great one for urban campaigns.

Remathilis

Legend
Well, I didn't expect much out of the backgrounds, but its a nice feature for those "uncreative" types who think you must stick to a background as written (as well as probably good for AL gaming). Glad they didn't waste much space on it, but bonds/flaws/traits would have been nice.

Filler, but not terrible.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It disappoints me that they spent page space to new backgrounds, just come up with your own they are the very easiest thing to make yourself.

Building backgrounds is very simple.

Waste of printed space ... Use it for subclasses

Sure. But the Urban Bounty Hunter isn't giving us a new example. It's just a tweaked version of the Criminal's feature.

Granted, not everyone wants to create new backgrounds, but it's far harder to create subclasses, and I'd rather the pages spent there.

Rules are pretty explicit in mechanic wise how to create a new backround: fluff wise, well isn't that why we play this silly game?

As a fellow cruncher, I could have told you all the pages on Backgrounds were wasted as soon as the TOC hit.

You're welcome.

I like it a lot. And, AL depends on some elements of these, even for making your own, as you can only replicate a portion of a background that is official. This one introduced a new precedent in skill and tool choices. It's a pretty meaningful change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads