Urban Bounty Hunter from SCAG Courtesy of Extra Life

ad_hoc: How do you keep finding these things? I've been looking and looking and refreshing and refreshing. Still nothing!

[MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION]: How do you keep finding these things? I've been looking and looking and refreshing and refreshing. Still nothing!

And, again, Adventurer's League rules are different from what I recall, and not every player can choose whatever they want. So I believe it's useful for them.

I found the Adventurer's League rule.

"Describe Your Character
Select the following additional details to help define
your character, as presented in your allowed rules:
• Name
• Alignment
• Ideals
• Bonds
• Flaws
• Background (select one or create a custom one)
• Faction (optional)"
-Adventurer's League Player's Guide p. 3

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I found the Adventurer's League rule.

"Describe Your Character
Select the following additional details to help define
your character, as presented in your allowed rules:
• Name
• Alignment
• Ideals
• Bonds
• Flaws
• Background (select one or create a custom one)
• Faction (optional)"
-Adventurer's League Player's Guide p. 3

Yes, I am referring to the custom background rules, which require (I recall - don't have it in front of me) that you use elements from existing backgrounds

Yes, I am referring to the custom background rules, which require (I recall - don't have it in front of me) that you use elements from existing backgrounds

The only rules for custom backgrounds that I am aware of is the section I quoted from the basic rules. Pick 2 skills, 2 languages/tools, and then pick the equipment package of an existing background, and the feature of an existing background. Is that what you're thinking of?

Li Shenron

Legend
I like my backgrounds to be strictly in the background -- it's stuff that you used to do, then stopped doing, all before you became the full-time adventurer you are today.

That's only one way to see backgrounds. The other is pretty opposite, i.e. not in the past, but in the present. And to be honest "strictly in the background" to me sounds a lot more like the second, the background is there all the time and is your role in society, while the foreground is your class i.e. your role in adventures.

It's ok to think that becoming adventurers means to quit your normal life, and your background equals the past. Or that maybe your class will then become also your new role in society. But it's not everybody's standard. It all depends how you see "adventures" fit in the fantasy world.

Remove ads

Remove ads