• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urn Your Pay (Rae judging)

Karm

First Post
Karm takes the amulet from Gildrim and drapes it around his neck. "How do I look fellows?" He laughs, "A bit fancier than I'm accustomed, oh well, onward!" Karm and Kuma step along behind the sturdier members of the expedition. When they arrive at the door, Karm adjusts his shield and holds his everburning candle high.

covaithe

Explorer
There is no obvious effect when Karm dons the medallion.

After a fruitless last look around the room, the party return to searching the floor. The next door opens on a small bedroom, mildewed and threadbare, but otherwise meticulously neat.

[sblock=ooc]Do we have any current standard practices for entering a new room? I know Erf had some, but I can't remember if they've been updated.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=map]
floor2_11.png
[/sblock]

serow

First Post
[sblock=ooc]We open the door and close it if we see something we don't like? I like that one, purely for the comedic imagery :D[/sblock]

Karm

First Post
Karm steps into the apparently empty bedroom and pokes around a bit. "You never know where the urn might be hidden. It's worth a look anyways." Kuma pads into the room behind Karm sniffing all around the floor and the corners of the room.

[sblock=ooc]
Search "empty" room in mansion. (1d20+1=18)

I think that SOP should be to arrange ourselves into a T shape,

_X_
oTo
GKk

X-door
_ - Wall
o-empty space
G-Gildrim
T-Ter-raen
K-Karm
k-Kuma

So in this instance it would be

Gildrim - H6
Ter-raen - G7
Kuma - H8
Karm - H7

Ter-raen could initiate total defense and open the door. Then for the first round of combat, if he didn't win initiative he would at least have a hefty boost to AC. Then, Gildrim and Kuma can both take 5 foot steps forward and attack anything that moves into the doorway.

Although, if we open the door on anything scary, then I suggest slamming the door in it's face, squealing like little girls and running away.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Karm's search turns up only clouds of mold and the odd vermin. It appears that this room was empty at the time the house was abandoned.

[sblock=ooc]That's all good if you guys decide to do the T formation and whatnot, but I'm also interested in SOP for investigating empty rooms. This was the first adventure that I designed myself, and I used an actual mansion floor plan as the basis of the map. So there are a lot of small rooms, many of which are effectively empty. Good for verisimilitude; bad for pacing in a PbP game. Lesson learned, but I'm not changing all my maps this far into the adventure. :)
[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Ony chaumber withoot a great hairy speeder is fine wi' me," says Gildrim. "But my gut's tellin' me that th' Urn is doun ane ay th' stairs in th' cellar. Lat's mak quick work ay thaes doors. Neist!"

Karm

First Post
Karm looks at the dwarf. You can see his eyes moving back and forth as if he is scanning a page of text. After deciphering the dwarf's words he says, "Gildrim, you are absolutely correct, let's move along. But let's not move too quickly, I'd rather not be taken off guard if there happen to be any more speeders, I mean spiders, lurking about."

Karm takes his position outside the next door

[sblock=ooc]
Karm=H10
Kuma=G11
[/sblock]

serow

First Post
Ter-raen understood the word "hairy" and "cellar", and figured that the dwarf meant they were going there next? But hairy? Never mind that. Pretending that was the intent of the dwarf, he nods and says, "We finish, then go down. No hair." Ter-raen steps into the empty room, takes a sniff of the stale air, then coughs a bit and just ruffles through shelves and cupboard where an urn could possible be kept.

[sblock=ooc]Yup that shall be sop for checking empty rooms i guess. Smell, cough, make a mess.[/sblock]

Remove ads