• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urn Your Pay (Rae judging)

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Sorry for the delay; ENWorld ate this update once. This time I'm taking a copy of it before pressing submit...

Round 1, continued

Karm waits, holding Kuma back.

Ter-raen takes a defensive stance, grimacing threateningly.

Gildrim retreats around a corner and attempts to reason with the creature.

Round 2

Murgwul steps back and demands tribute. (and total defense)

Ter-raen responds with customary violence, uttering a battle cry and cutting the little monster. (not enough room to charge; the attack hits anyways for 5 damage after DR.)

(Karm, Kuma, and Gildrim are up.)

[sblock=Initiative and status]

Mephit 5 damage after DR, total defense
Ter-raen 28/33
Karm 9/10 <== you're up
Kuma 12/13
Gildrim 13/24

[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
floor2_13.png

[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
Gildrim comes back around the corner to see what damage has been done. Frowning, he hunkers down behind his shield and waits for an opening.

"If ye coud muive oot mah way...?"

[sblock=OOC]From G19, I'd consider using total defense and moving to D19, risking the AoO. Unfortunately, I had put him in F19, so he could only reach Ter-raen's square this round. So, total defense in F20.[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: now that I think of it, the mephit took total defense, so Gildrim could have double-moved past it to wherever he liked. Oh well... he was round the corner and has no idea what's going on.

Karm

First Post
[sblock] Sorry it took me so long to post, I've been really busy.[/sblock]

Karm chants quietly for a few seconds then points at the mephit and an arc of green light flys from his finger and over the mephit. It coalesces in the puddle behind the mephit and forms the shape of a large wolf that looks like it could be Kuma's relative. The large wolf lunges at the mephit, and Kuma bolts into the room and leaps to bite the mephit as well.

[sblock=wolf]
WOLF
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Trip
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
[/sblock]
[sblock=actions]
Karm will cast SNA I summoning a wolf at C20 who attacks immediately.
Kuma will move to E19 and attack.
Attack rolls for Kuma and Summoned wolf respectively. (1d20=20, 1d6=6, 1d20=18, 1d6=3) (I forgot to add the +3 for each of them to attack the results should read 23 and 21 respectively)

Roll to confirm critical hit by Kuma on mephit. (1d20+3=9)
Doh, 6 damage. Stupid DR.
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 2

Karm begins to summon an ally. (remember, full round casting time. That means you spend a standard action, and the summoned creature appears at the beginning of your next turn. Assuming you aren't interrupted before then.)

Kuma steps forward and bites at the mephit's flank, scoring only a slight scratch despite an accurate bite. Kuma's jaws are strong enough to drag the little creature to the floor, though. (1 damage after DR. Kuma wins his trip attempt.)

Gildrim moves carefully back into the room, waiting for Ter-raen to move.

Round 3

The mephit crawls backwards towards the puddle, leaving openings for Ter-raen and Kuma to attack. Without standing, it hurls a gob of smoking acid at Kuma, which misses the wolf by a yard, and sputters and hisses against the wall. (miss. AoOs for Ter-raen and Kuma)

[sblock=Initiative and status]

Mephit 6 damage after DR, prone
Ter-raen 28/33 <== you're up
Karm 9/10
Kuma 12/13
Gildrim 13/24, total defense

[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
floor2_14.png

[/sblock]

Karm

First Post
[sblock=OOC] Oops, sorry, my Kung-fu is weak[/sblock]

As the creature tries to drag itself back Kuma lunges for it's leg snapping his jaws viciously.

[sblock=AoO]
Kuma - AoO on Mephit (1d20+3=22, 1d6+1=2)

Dang DR.
What happens to the wolf that I am summoning if the mephit moves into the square that I'm trying to summon into?
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]

Yeah: :erm: However, remember that Kuma does get a free trip attempt when he hits with a bite attack. It's 1d20+1, with an extra +4 because the mephit is one size category smaller than him, which is opposed by the mephit's strength check: 12 vs. 7, so the wolf wins again.

What I can't figure out is if a successful trip attempt as part of an AoO provoked by attempting to stand up, prevents the target from standing up. Logically you'd think yes; it's hard to stand up with your leg in a wolf's jaws. But AoOs are resolved before the action that provokes them is resolved. (e.g. an AoO can prevent a spell from being cast, by forcing a concentration check.) Thus, at the time of the AoO, the mephit is already prone, and tripping it has no effect, and after the AoO, the standing up action takes place as usual and the mephit can stand. Reading the rules closely would seem to suggest that the mephit successfully stands, but that seems very strange. I'm inclined to lean toward the close, non-intuitive reading in this case, purely because it means I won't have to retcon. Anyone have any more light to shed on this?

What happens to the wolf that I am summoning if the mephit moves into the square that I'm trying to summon into?

This one is easier; you pick the square to summon into at the time that you finish casting the spell. Thus:

round N

DM: Karm's turn
You: I start casting SNA1
DM: Ok

round N+1

DM: Karm's turn
You: A wolf appears in square P2 and attacks: 16 to hit for 6 damage. If that hits, he makes a trip attempt: 19. Also, Karm moves back 10 feet and casts nuclear holocaust.
DM: the wolf hits, and his target falls prone. Karm's spell hits for 375 damage.

round N+1+(duration of SNA1)

DM: Karm's turn. The summoned wolf disappears.

[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
What I can't figure out is if a successful trip attempt as part of an AoO provoked by attempting to stand up, prevents the target from standing up. Logically you'd think yes; it's hard to stand up with your leg in a wolf's jaws. But AoOs are resolved before the action that provokes them is resolved. (e.g. an AoO can prevent a spell from being cast, by forcing a concentration check.) Thus, at the time of the AoO, the mephit is already prone, and tripping it has no effect, and after the AoO, the standing up action takes place as usual and the mephit can stand. Reading the rules closely would seem to suggest that the mephit successfully stands, but that seems very strange. I'm inclined to lean toward the close, non-intuitive reading in this case, purely because it means I won't have to retcon. Anyone have any more light to shed on this?

ooc: Trouvere kindly pointed me to this, which answers that question; you can't trip someone who's trying to stand up. So continuity is intact, for the moment. It's Ter-raen's turn.

Karm

First Post
[sblock=ooc] "A foe can use the ready action to prepare a trip attack against you when you stand up."

So next time we get one on the ground, I could have Kuma do that to keep em down. In this case it wouldn't have worked of course.

OOC: btw, I have another exam, so my posting might be sporadic until monday. I'll try to keep up though.
[/sblock]

Remove ads