Use case for Blade Ward?

I think one issue with Blade Ward not considered is the very limited number of cantrips most characters get. So, whilst there might be some situational uses for it, there are likely better cantrips to choose.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think one issue with Blade Ward not considered is the very limited number of cantrips most characters get. So, whilst there might be some situational uses for it, there are likely better cantrips to choose.

This is an entirely different question though. This is a question of cost to have it available rather than cost to use in play.

People here are arguing that it isn't worth it to use it in play. I think that is wrong.

As for whether it is worth taking, Sorcerers and Tome Warlocks do like it more because of their greater selection. With 5 or 6 cantrips the character can have 2-3 attack ones and still have room for 2-4 others.

Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, and Message are great candidates. I put Blade Ward just after those for a Sorcerer. Light can be good but so can a hooded lantern.

Blade Ward is better than: Dancing Lights, Friends, Mending, Prestidigitation, and True Strike.

For Tome Warlocks they have the added choice of Guidance and Resistance.

I don't think it is a must have, but I don't think it is a mistake either.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I use blade ward all the time on when playing a Blade Pact Warlock - mainly to make Armor of Agathys last longer, or for situations where you expect to be in a fight very soon. If you can manage to cast it just before initiative is rolled it's perfect. Usually this means casting it just before the character kicks open a door and steps into a room, etc.

I've also used it on a Tiefling Chain Pact Warlock - one notable instance was when we were in a cave complex and a Bullette attacked us (we were level 5). My warlock was fortunately not included in the initial leap attacks from the Bullette, but was not in a good position to help (she was behind a pillar of rock with other PC's in front of her - she couldn't move to a spot where she could attack the Bullette.

She had pre-cast Armor of Agathys (15 temp hp), so on her turn she cast Blade Ward and positioned herself. On her next turn she move through the other PC's and past the Bullette, provoking an Attack of Opportunity, and getting hit for 30 pts of damage (reduced to 15 because Blade Ward lasts until the end of your next turn). The Bullette took 15 cold, then she used Hellish Rebuke (racial ability) and it took another 20 pts (failed save), then she Hexed it and hit it twice with Agonizing Eldritch Blast for another 25 pts of Damage.

70 pts in one round from a lvl 5 warlock, and zero damage to her (after temps were gone).

I think Blade Ward is good, but not for every character type. It's best used in combination with other spells and abilities, so it tends to be situational. But if you have a character that can create those situations, then it's pretty useful for them. If you don't, then it's probably not worth it.

This is an entirely different question though. This is a question of cost to have it available rather than cost to use in play.

People here are arguing that it isn't worth it to use it in play. I think that is wrong.

As for whether it is worth taking, Sorcerers and Tome Warlocks do like it more because of their greater selection. With 5 or 6 cantrips the character can have 2-3 attack ones and still have room for 2-4 others.

Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, and Message are great candidates. I put Blade Ward just after those for a Sorcerer. Light can be good but so can a hooded lantern.

Blade Ward is better than: Dancing Lights, Friends, Mending, Prestidigitation, and True Strike.

For Tome Warlocks they have the added choice of Guidance and Resistance.

I don't think it is a must have, but I don't think it is a mistake either.

I've seen Dancing Lights and Mending used effectively more than Blade Ward.

Remove ads