• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Useing Dexterity to hit --> everytime.

Nyaricus

First Post
So, the title pretty much sums it up. What do you guys think about using Dexterity to hit with any weapon? Dexterity represents accuracy, and i think it would be appropriate to use it . . in theory.

I know that some might say that it make dexterity a must (and held upon to high of a pedastal), but this (IMO) only makes sense. If you are clumsy . . .then you are clumsy. Period. Aquire some Gloves of Dexterity?. BAM - problem solved.

Do you guys get where i am coming from here, or i am going off on a tangent here?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I know of at least one other gaming system that uses DEX for weapon attacks, leaving STR to determine exactly how much damage the weapon does. I'd say you're not too far off base at all...

However, given that model in the D&D standard, Fighters etc. suddenly have to determine if they are beefy warriors with beefy muscles and clumsy... or flitty, agile swashbucklers. :)

It kinda makes sense from a visualization P.O.V. but I doubt such things translate into D&D very well.

monboesen

Explorer
Try searching for threads on this subject, there has been plenty.

Some of the arguments for using strength are

1. Game balance (dex becomes to important)
2. Swinging any object of even 3-4 pounds for a short stretch of time does not have to do with agility, it requires strength
3. As armor makes you more difficult to hit rather than reduce damage, strength bonus to hit actually models hitting hard enough to get through armor
4. While agility might help you landing blows, strenght is required to make them matter (do damage)
5. Without strength you will not be able to move your weapon fast and precise enough to use your agility

But really, this is an age old discussion.

Herzog

Adventurer
You could create a feat for it?

Improved Weapon Finesse
Req:
Weapon Finesse
Str 15+

You may substitute your dex modifier for your str modifier when using any weapon.

And maybe on top of that:

Ultimate Weapon Finesse:
Req:
Improved Weapon Finesse

You may add BOTH your dex and str modifiers to an attack when using any weapon.

Herzog

Stalker0

Legend
This house rule is brought up at least once a month I'd say.

Quick and Dirty: In a realistic combat model, is agility more important than what dnd models?

Yes.

Would making dexterity the automatic stat to hit make it unbalanced in dnd?

Absolutely.

Aus_Snow

First Post
First off, in theory (from hrm, a simulationist angle?) it seems fine to me.

Does Wisdom mod for Initiative appeal? I think you have mentioned it yourself (Nyaricus) - is that right?

Well anyway, it might help to somewhat offset the power slide.

Maybe if there's some way you'd like to emphasise the consequences of being caught off-guard, that might help to further balance things. By means of Wisdom becoming more highly prized in general (i.e., not just for divine casters), that is.

Just my 2c for now.

Last edited:

XeviatTranion

First Post
In my games, I split Dex into Dexterity and Agility; Agility has AC and Reflex saves, Dex has all to hit rolls and the majority of the skills. Dex is about coordination, Agility is about speed.

I'm also having armor grant some DR and having their ACs reduced slightly, as UA suggests; this will help counter the potentially lower ACs, to hits, or damage that melee characters may suffer from.

It's worked out well so far, but adding ability scores does strain the system (it's harder to aquire magic items to boost them for instance).

monboesen

Explorer
Not completely up to speed with Iron Heroes, but I believe you can choose whether to use you STR or DEX to hit with any weapon.

Yes. By spending one of your two valuable Character Traits to do so. And that trait is under scrutiny by many of those who play Iron heroes as almost every published build uses it.

First off, in theory (from hrm, a simulationist angle?) it seems fine to me.

Personally I fail to see how agility helps you more than strength when swinging your 12 pound Greataxe or Halberd.

XeviatTranion

First Post
Some of the posters' comments did get me thinking: is a strength requirement necessary for larger weapons, or does the fact that characters gain bonus damage for using two handed weapons ensure that lower strength characters won't use them?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads