• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using a Ride check to get cover

Marcon

First Post
I don't think there is a more ambiguous paragraph than the one found on p.80 detailing the way you can use your mount as cover. It's unbelievably short for the flurry of options it allows in my head and I want to make sure I get it straight before trying to use it at the table.

Could someone be kind enough to elaborate on this please? I can see it being used in a lot of different ways (During my turn, in reaction to an opponent attacking me, etc.) I know it sounds silly but do I have to pick a side of my horse behind which I am under cover? Or do I get to lean back and forth many times during the same round as long as I can make the check?

There is no penaly for failure so I can imagine people "trying it" every time they are under attack? If I can use it only on my turn, then why does the paragraph start by saying "You can react instantly..."?

Help out a confused rider!

-Marcon

frankthedm

First Post
Help out a confused rider!
The riding rules did have a few blind spots. This was one of them. The web articles on mounts, FAQ & errata can be very helpful for when the DM is making his final decisions.

Indeed I would any recommend any DM dealing with riders using this to implement the optional 3.0 rule of 'striking cover'

All About Mounts (Part Five)
All About Mounts (Part Four)
clear_dot.gif

All About Mounts (Part Three)
All About Mounts (Part Two)
All About Mounts (Part One)
All About Mounts (Part Two) said:
Get Cover from Your Mount: Because you and your mount share a space on the battlefield, you normally cannot claim cover from your mount. Whenever someone attacks you, however, you can attempt a DC 15 Ride check to claim cover from your mount. If you succeed, you get the benefit of cover (+4 to AC). According to the D&D FAQ, the cover benefit applies to all attacks made against you during the same place in the initiative order. If foes attack you several different times during a round, you must make a new Ride check to get cover from your mount against those attacks. You cannot claim cover while you're casting a spell or making any kind of attack.​
Using your mount for cover isn't an action, and you can do so anytime you're attacked (subject to the limits noted previously). The rules don't say so, but using your mount for cover represents you actively avoiding attacks, and it's reasonable to assume that you cannot do so when you are denied your Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class.​

FAQ said:
When using a Ride skill check to claim cover from your mount, exactly when do you start claiming cover from your mount? When must you stop claiming cover from your mount? The skill description says you react instantly to claim cover, and it doesn’t take an action. Does that mean you can do so anytime, even when it’s not your turn? The skill description says you can’t attack or cast spells while claiming cover. Why is that significant if you can claim cover anytime without using an action?

You can make a Ride check to claim cover from your mount anytime, even when it’s not your turn. Make the check before your opponent makes his attack roll. If your check succeeds, you have cover against your opponent’s attacks. If several different opponents attack you during the same place in the initiative order, one Ride check determines if you have cover against all those attacks. If you’re attacked again, you must make another Ride check to claim cover again. You cannot claim cover while you’re casting a spell or making any kind of attack. So, for example, if you cast a spell while mounted, you can’t use your mount as cover against any attack of opportunity you might provoke. You also cannot claim cover from your mount while making a charge attack (not even during the movement portion of your charge).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads