D&D 5E Using Downtime Training new ways

Levelup has rules for doing that in the downtime section, specifically AG432 for most if not all of the ones you mention
I'm not so worried about the systems. I would just expand on the existing framework and have it take more time. I'm more curious as to how good/bad an idea it may be. Like, on one hand, gaining a new skill or feat is powerful. On the other hand, if it takes say 15-20 downtime actions (DTA) to do so, and players are typically getting only 5-8 between adventures, it's really not so bad, considering that they can't do other possibly valuable actions.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
In my in-dev game, Quest For Chevar, I handle this by making downtime the only way to do certain important things, and is automatically a part of getting all your resources back. Downtime is very important, because it’s the only time you can manage relationships with contacts and such, deal with certain kinds of complications that arise during a job, build complex things, do deep research on a creature or organization or the like, and train new features like traits and levels.

It also takes downtime to recover from trauma, regain all spent resources, etc, referred to as an extended rest.

Because of all this, it’s fine to let someone take a downtime endeavor to learn a new skill.

Remove ads