• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Music to enhance the Mood

Dykstrav

Adventurer
My experiences with music and gaming have been mixed. Here's my two coppers.

First off, it's easy to do it "wrong." If you find that music detracts from your experience, stop using it. Easy enough.

First... Many people up-thread have posted that it's important to keep the volume low. That's good advice. A good level is to have it loud enough that you can hear it distinctly when there is a quiet moment around the table, but not so loud that people have to speak up to be heard.

Second... Pick something appropriate to what you're playing. It might seem like an obvious thing, but for some people, it's not. Basil Pouledoris' score to Conan: the Barbarian is insanely evocative and a joy to listen to. It's jarring when someone plays it during a pirate-themed adventure or when your characters attend the duchess' ball. Your players will probably wonder why you chose that music for that scene and lose some of their immersion.

For D&D/Pathfinder, I use the music from Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil computer game, Blizzard's Diablo, and the Record of Lodoss War series. Very little of it contains lyrics and it loops more-or-less seamlessly, in addition to being generally good, evocative music for fantasy gaming.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Music can be used to great effect, even strange and unusual music. I once had a game that partially took place in a Greek-style temple complex and played ancient Greek music for it. Some people told me to avoid period music because it wouldn't sound like orchestrated institutional Hollywood stuff--I was "making a mistake" because ancient Greek music didn't sound like the Lords of the Rings score. I'm glad that I decided to do it, despite advice to the contrary. It was really awesome because the music was different and alien to contemporary ears--it was just jarring enough that the players took notice, but not so jarring that it became a distraction. The players told me that the session was one of their favorites, and part of that was the music.

I always use ambient tracks and music for horror-themed games because players have told me that it really helps set the mood for them. It seems that there just isn't beating creepy music to achieve creepy ambiance for most people. I tend to agree there, horror games seem much better to me with horror-themed music. For that, I get a lot of mileage out of the soundtracks for the various Resident Evil and Silent Hill video games, as well as the excellent music for the Vampire: the Masquerade computer games (both Redemption and Bloodlines). The music is good, and most people don't really recognize it for what it is unless they're huge fans of the games.

I think that Vampire: the Masquerade is worth a special mention here. Music is not only good for a Vampire game, I consider it absolutely essential. Rob Zombie, Lords of Acid, Genitorturers, Professional Murder Music, and Zombie Girl play when I run games. High-energy music and the whole music scene are as much a fixture to Vampire's milieu as knights and castles are to D&D--I just can't imagine playing Vampire without music to drive it along. Sex, blood, and rock 'n roll.

Third... Don't play music just for the sake of playing music. I know DMs or hosts that just play music for the heck of it and it bugs me--not even an attempt at ambiance, they just play music to have noise in the background. Listening to 80's easy listening or 60's rock-and-roll during a game reminds me too much of muzak, it's difficult for me to get into the game when the play space sounds like a restaurant. That might not bother some people, but it's a distraction for me.

Ktulu

First Post
I only play music during combat, and I always have my players pick a "Theme Song" that gets shuffled in with other music (the D&D Soundtrack from mydnight syndicate, god of war, etc...). When their song comes up, they get an action point that can be used before the end of the character's next turn.

It's often quite fun, since they can pick any song -- so we get country songs, hard rock, thoughtful melodies....allows a lot of creativity.

Grydan

First Post
During a brief stretch where I tried to GM a Star Wars Saga Edition game, I made a point of having the Star Wars soundtracks on hand, in order to provide the appropriate background music.

It didn't really work out for me (and neither did the attempt at GMing...).

What I found was that, unless I was just using a brief stretch of the music as background to a particular bit of flavour text, or the arrival of a foe, was that it distracted the players rather than adding to their immersion.

An unplanned track-change in the middle of a bit of narration can have unintended consequences. If the benevolent patron of the party is talking and ominous music starts up, the players are naturally inclined to think I'm hinting at something. Clearly this character is about to betray the party... why else would I play the Imperial March under his dialogue?

It clearly can work, as others more skilled than I have integrated it into their campaigns successfully. Just be aware that there are potential pitfalls, and that at times it might be more effort than it's worth.

Dantiandeo

First Post
Now, if I may, I would like to suggest a few things.

First off a few bands/artist which are mostly metal that fit well for RPG's:
Nox Arcana: Anything creepy, erie or occulty, also good for almost all dungeons. One must note that the CD's are themed, so selection is simplyfied.
Ensiferum: Viking Metal that fits well with battlefields and large scale battles. Great "War Cry" songs.
Korpiklaani: Viking metal with a more "Primal" focus. A lot of songs that talk about Forests and traveling.
In Extremo: German Meadival Metal band that feature alot of Vagrant themed songs, maybe a bit too forceful due to 3 bagpipes and loud vocals.
Apocalyptica: A no brainer, Cellos are a great supplement to the mood in general, tho song selection is more specific as the style varies greatly.

Further more I would like to mention that Easily distracted groups(those suffering from AD&DHS) are not suited to be exposed to background music.

Vadriar

First Post
We usually just listen to an album. Could be anything. Keep it low though. I tried thematic music once, but it didn't work that well for us (it didn't really add anything. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't do it).

benjamin

Explorer
New version of Syrinscape coming early 2013

Hey!

Pretty excited!

It looks like I'll be able to start work on the new version of Syrinscape THIS Monday!

I've had some pretty awesome feedback from people using it already, and I have GREAT plans for making it heaps more powerful and MUCH easier and hassle free to use. One click SoundSet change (for example).

Heaps of people have been asking for ages for more SoundSets... so I'll be getting cracking on that front as well. I have a list the length of my arm for different kinds of settings!

If you have no idea what all this is about then:
Welcome to Syrinscape | Syrinscape
www.facebook.com/Syrinscape

:)

Benjamin

Agatheron

First Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the iPhone or iPad app called "DMDJ" from Blueface games. It provides environmental sound effects and music that can be adjusted to circumstance, and time of day. I'm not sure if it exists on Android, but I will check. This is a fantastic piece for providing music and ambient to adventures that is not distracting. Give it a look. :)

d2OKC

Explorer
I've always wanted to experiment more with music in my game. The biggest obstacle for me is that I'm a travelling DM, for lack of a better term. I run the game, but I never host the game, because my apartment is a bit too small for such a thing right now. I'm more worried about having all the minis, maps, notes, etc that I need, and less about the music for now.

However, in December I'm getting married, and my fiance (who doesn't play, but supports my hobby), has already said she'd encourage us hosting the game on a weekly basis. That would make it much easier for me to set things up and include music in the game itself.

The other obstacle I have is my players. They have a wide range of music preferences, from overly-pretentious about music to completely indifferent about it. We have one player who would love to have music going all the time, and another who doesn't like it because it adds "too much of a party feel" to the game. Only one of them is in my group right now (the one who does like music), so that's ok.

I'm running Zeitgeist, so I'm kind of looking around for appropriate music. However, I love the idea of ambient sounds instead of music. A big encounter with rain noises in the background to make sure everyone keeps that in mind? The muted sounds of battle in the background? That could be really fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads