• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using Music to enhance the Mood

d2OKC

Explorer
This is good news. I'll have to download it when I am in a good spot with wifi.

Most important question: can it do the Wilhelm scream?

benjamin

Explorer
Syrinscape does The Wilhelm Scream - no prob - lol

Syrinscape will do that...

Just download the mp3 from:
The Wilhelm Scream: Free MP3 Download

Or many other places...

...stick it in the right directory and Voila... it'll appear in your SoundSets!

I tell you what, it creates a great response at our table when it occurs!

See:
Welcome to Syrinscape | Syrinscape
...for the program and tutorials on how to add the Scream into any of the excisting Sets or indeed, how to make your own complete SoundSets from scratch.

Of course there is also a very awesome NEW VERSION coming soon... [goes back to tapping computer]

:)

Benjamin

benjamin

Explorer
...and the new version will do it WAY easier...

...it's a bit esoteric at the moment!

But that was my programming level back when it was released...

Benjamin

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Some of my most memorable gaming experiences have had mood-appropriate music in the background. Two stand out most:

The first was while investigating a mystery in an insane asylum in a Warhammer game. We also played by candle light in my friend's cramped bedroom giving the whole atmosphere a really creepy vibe.

The second is almost entirely opposite. In a home brew D20 Mad Max style world, we ran a chase scene on a stolen speed-rail train, while pursued by a horde of gun-toting bikers. The one "combat" lasted all night, and rocked a great power metal soundtrack.

Now, I was a player in both games, and loved it. I would be excited to try something similar for the game I'm currently running, but due to cross-country locations, we're playing online. Making sure everyone can be heard over Skype without music can be hard enough. I do occasionally throw in some music clips at times, such as Queen's "Save Me" after a player misses a save three or four times in a row.

I actually find listening to music while prepping for a game can be greatly helpful as well. I once drew inspiration for a dark superhero campaign from Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief". Currently my D&D music is anyone by Shearwater.

Trit

The Little Raven

First Post
I use Syrinscape, and have for a couple years now. Check it out.

The thing I've found works best with it is (brace for it)... World of Warcraft music.

Once you have the game fully downloaded, you can use MPQEditor to go into the various MPQ data files and extract all of the music and ambient sounds. The music is broken up into shorter files, so you can have multiple clips that will play with a gap, so the music isn't always playing, but it comes in and out at times.

In my Ravenloft campaign a couple years back, I also used voice files from C'thun (an Old God; parasitic immortal being) as "whispers from the Land," as they felt appropriate.

Increased the mood 10 fold in my opinion.

The Little Raven

First Post
I think that Vampire: the Masquerade is worth a special mention here. Music is not only good for a Vampire game, I consider it absolutely essential. Rob Zombie, Lords of Acid, Genitorturers, Professional Murder Music, and Zombie Girl play when I run games. High-energy music and the whole music scene are as much a fixture to Vampire's milieu as knights and castles are to D&D--I just can't imagine playing Vampire without music to drive it along. Sex, blood, and rock 'n roll.

Bloodlines' ambient sounds, club music, and official soundtrack are my go-to sounds for modern games (which usually have horror elements).

For sci-fi-ish games, I usually pull the music files from Half-Life 2, as I find it to be excellent for mood without being overwhelming.

Third... Don't play music just for the sake of playing music. I know DMs or hosts that just play music for the heck of it and it bugs me--not even an attempt at ambiance, they just play music to have noise in the background. Listening to 80's easy listening or 60's rock-and-roll during a game reminds me too much of muzak, it's difficult for me to get into the game when the play space sounds like a restaurant. That might not bother some people, but it's a distraction for me.

Word. One of my old DMs used to play nu-metal and other bands he liked while we played. It almost never fit the mood of the game, would make some of us non-fans cringe, and would distract him while he played air-guitar or something.

If you don't have a goal with the music, in the game itself, then I find there's little use for it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When I DM, I sometimes use music to enhance the setting the characters are in. I haven't done it much though so I'm not sure if its a useful tool or just a distraction yet. Has anyone had substantial experience with this? Does it make the game more fun?

Also, if it does help, what are some good sound tracks to use?

This should help "enhance the mood":

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61lke-zN8GU&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Turn Off The Lights - Teddy Pendergrass (1979) - YouTube[/ame]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads