Using Star Was SAGA Rules with D&D 3.5

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Now I want to pick up Saga. >.<

We already have a backlog for games that is going to stretch several years. If I bought it now there'd be a new edition out before I got to use it.

Some of the rules sound like they'd be great for bringing into other things ... evolution, as it were. After statting up a half-dozen mid-level characters the other day, I have to say, the skill system sounds ... oddly appealing.

--fje

Talkkno

First Post
Does anyone think implementing feats from D&D books in Saga that could be used as written or with a little tweaking such as Improved Combat expertise, Leap attack, Rapid Blitz, and Bounding assault would result in any problems?

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Sorcica said:
Creature levels count. A Beast gets half beast level as a damage bonus.

If I port that over to my D&D campaign I can see my players taking umbrage.

As it is I am already granting monsters 1 x Str bonus on secondary natural attacks and 2 x Str bonus on a natural attack if it is their only one (Wolf/T-Rex etc).

EditorBFG

Explorer
Asmor said:
Thinking about it, there is one major problem with my approach to spells as talents...

Specifically, it ties up all the character's talents and prevents them from gaining other cool abilities.

Maybe it'd be better to have talents which allowed access to spells of a certain level... For example, Minor Spellcasting allows you to gain spells of up to level 3, Spellcasting lets you gain spells of up to level 6, and Major Spellcasting lets you gain spells of up to level 9. You still need to follow the tables for the appropriate class to determine when you get the different spell levels, and how many you can use.
I think that you're better off having spellcasting as a single talent, then making other talents in the tree things like familiars and metamagic. Then, optimally, each spellcasting class would other talent trees that would be options for pursuing a less traditional path (a wizard with bardic knowledge instead of a familiar, for example). If spellcasting requires multiple talents, spellcasters are going to be more similar, which kind of defeats the point of talents.

Elephant

First Post
OTOH, having fewer spellcasting talents makes those talents correspondingly more powerful. I'm thinking it might just be more effective to Use The Force.

Remove ads