• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using the Major Image Spell

Big Jake

First Post
I'm designing some encounters that are all based on the Major Image spell, and I'm curious how much can be done with the spell.

The effect of the spell is based on Silent Image, which states:

Effect: Visual figment that cannot extend beyond four 10-ft. cubes + one 10-ft. cube/level (S)

"This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you."

With this information, can you, with one casting of the spell, create intricate illusions involving multiple factors, such as:

A ballroom with couples dancing to music, with lights dancing across the room.

A battlefield scene with flesh-eating birds picking at decaying bodies, the stench of death everywhere.

An illusionary window you can look through and watch a maid tossing chicken feed to the chickens running about her feet.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jack Simth

First Post
I'd say not, as Major Image inherits from Silent Image, which uses the singular term on what it can do:
SRD said:
This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you. The illusion does not create sound, smell, texture, or temperature. You can move the image within the limits of the size of the effect.
(Emphasis added)

Well, maybe the window... but it would end up looking more like a moving painting... although you could have some depth, if there were a gap in the wall in which to place some depth....

Of course, you have to concentrate on the spell continuously in order to make it move....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads