• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using time travel as an in-game tool

Slife

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Each character needs to write up a list of about twenty important things they know, of who they are and where they're from. Rate them in three levels of importance - 10 trivial, 7 important, 3 vital. When they want to know something, they have to trade away something else of equal value. If they go beyond this limit, they forget the last thing, which is who they are. And then, unable to help themselves, they become undone.

And of course, the climax of the campaign is dependent upon a character willingly letting himself be undone so he can save everyone else.

Couldn't they trade away other future knowledge? Couldn't they, knowing what they know, write down the info? Could they then not just have a big book o' future knowledge? Isn't it impossible (according to Hawking), for knowledge to be destroyed?
Perhaps stat losses (in WIS or CHA) would be more appropriate. Not knowing your own name isn't that much of a problem. Amnesia, anyone?

Maybe a system like Asimov used in "The End of Eternity" would work. Reality changes, but the time traveler is then seperate from reality. The time travel place is also seperate from normal reality, too. It's hard to explain, check out the book from your local library.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I've got a rather sizeable amount of Asimov's stuff. If it's a short story, I'm sure it's in one of these collections.

Last edited:

Napftor

Explorer
Well, creamsteak, you've got a whole lot of fun in front of you. I only wish that the time travel supplement I've been writing was published already and available to you. Oh well, you'll just have to make do with friendly advice in the meantime. :)

My main question while reading all of this was: how are you setting up the campaign? The "hows" and "whys" the characters come to possess a phoenix gate/chrono-artifact/time-shifting pooper scooper will go far, I think, to answering alot of the core concerns. For example:

Perhaps the characters are bopping along happily at first level (you starting them at first level?) when suddenly they are swept into another place. Here, tall beings with flowing glyph-covered robes ushers them to a conference table. Several items on the table glow with a faint magical aura as head humanoid tells the PCs that they have been chosen to be the keepers of their timeline. This example assumes that the mystical time monitoring race (which could be a silver-skinned variant of elves for all it matters) is one which exists to keep records for some type of universal uber-deity. They "commission" appropriate persons in each of the multiverse's timelines with making certain that time traveling ne'er-do-wells don't screw with the timestream (vast changes do, after all, make record keeping rather cumbersome).

In any case, the PCs are provided with a brooch which monitors their own timeline (and no others in case they travel to another dimension) and emits a particular radiance indicating how close the focal change-point ocurred, a mirror with which to visually communicate with future selves (the mirror might also be the item which future assistance travels through--the aforementioned fireball launches from it, a beam strikes the person to whom knowledge is being imparted, etc.--just to look cool), and whatever else you think the campaign needs. Should each PC be granted one of every item? Up to you! Might make it more interesting that way.

As for the whle karma points/record keeping stuff, why not just make it an "eye for an eye" type system to keep things really simple. The mystical time humanoids mentioned above might warn the PCs that while they can get information and favors from their future selves, such requests backlash at unknown times with equal effect. I remember someone mentioning a +5 sword earlier in the thread. To illustrate this approach, say a PC does conjure this sword because it is needed to slay X monster. Fine and dandy, the beast is slain and the adventuring continues. Now, a few days/weeks/months afterward, the brooch(es) which warns of time tampering starts glowing. Is someone tampering with the timeline? The PCs can check in with the mystical time recorders--"Nope, no external changes. Must have been something you did, better be careful." What the brooch is warning of is that the +5 sword conjured however long ago is now back in play. When the next orc jumps from the shadows to attack, will it be wielding this dreaded sword? Probably, because the "retributive favor", once detected, will likely be imminent to properly stabilize the timeline. This becomes increasingly worrisome if, say, 15 orcs jumped from their ambush--which one has the +5 sword...do any of them?!

Hopefully I've not rambled on to much here and you can get some ideas.

Edit: And by carrying one of the magic temporal items (probably the brooch), they are immune to any changes in the timeline. Or, perhaps the mystical being can bestow a feat which works the same way. Depends on whether or not you want the possibility of the PCs not being immune to changes once and awhile (i.e. "oh no, I lost my temporal brooch!").

Last edited:

Napftor

Explorer
Gah! I forgot to mention that if you want the PCs to time travel (of course!), then the mystical record keepers can provide an item for that too. Perhaps a staff that has to be driven forcibly into the ground. It opens a time portal to a specified time but not to the same location it is in now. When the PCs discover (or are told) where and when time tampering has occured, part of the fun can be getting to that location from which to timeshift.

Dreaddisease

First Post
Interesting,
One thing I would stay away from is the butterfly effect aspect of the whole situation. Don't go changing everything about the characters every time they have to step back in time. Allowing characters to flow through time should also allow for reality to be a open canvas. I would create a chart with an even number of positive and negative things that can happen (with some ease to adlib the history) and when something happens other than what needs to happen (such as the fireball example at the beginning) then roll.

Another thing to look at is the benefit of railroading your characters. If they are semi-aware of their doings in the past (i.e. traveling back to kill off the BBEG before they were born and then realize it was a CR10 monster when they are 6th level) can keep players on target. This may sound contradicting, but if the underlying story is good enough then characters may want to be railroaded for awhile. Maybe this item which travels through time is hard to control with a high failure rate and negative effects, but they come across many documents or events that help explain how to use the item.

I also see a great story line benefit. The characters can get all the benefit from time travel of their future characters. Abuse leads to strange effects (ripples in the current aspect of time) and in the future as they abuse their ability to time travel more ripples in time start to happen , including re-writing some of the history that they are familiar with. These ripples actually become reality and their is a whole group of aberrations that feed off the ripples. Unfortunately the party sees this problem too late and have to battle the aberrations, everything chaotic, and their own time travel blunders to reduce the ripples in time before something goes horribly wrong.

Imagine characters going into the future to see themselves more powerful and accidentally messing up a serious battle, by whatever ignorant low level characters do, and then in the future the characters have to deal with the situation. Beautiful.

Pull a reverse order story on them. They wake up with no knowledge of history or anything, at 14th to 15th level. Then they have to work backwards in time (going forward in short spurts) This will be very frustrating but if you have their mistakes that lead to the ultimate time ripple that causes them to loose history and then let them choose whether to make the same mistake again or any number of other option, then it can be interactive. Work your way back to 7th or 8th level to a penultimate choice. It gives an interesting perspective of playing as well as allowing min-maxers to create cool 15th level characters right at the beginning and then slowly take away their toys and abilities. muwhahahahahaha. If they do make good choices or learn from the whole picture then they can get their cool 15th level characters back and be able to create a history around that.

Just ideas. Its late and my brain is tired.

Timeboxer

Explorer
...okay, I was randomly thinking about portals and time travel, and I think I've come up with a within-the-rules method of having temporal portals, based somewhat on actual science. This should technically allow you to travel into the past, I think.

Right, here's what you do. Take two portals A and B such that entering A leads you to exit B, and entering B leads you to through to A. Now, use the psionic power Mass Time Hop (or some similar effect) to send portal B into the future. When portal B reappears, use Mass Time Hop to send portal B into the future again. "From the subject's point of view, no time has passed at all," so effectively portal B is "younger" than portal A, from portal B's perspective. What this mean is that if you enter portal A, you should end up where portal B is -- in the future, relative to portal A -- and if you enter portal B, you should end up where portal A is -- in the past.

This is roughly equivalent to the scenario in which you have two ends of a wormhole, and send one end around the universe at the speed of light, making it younger than the other end and allowing one to theoretically travel through time.

What do you think, sirs?

Remove ads