Utalia: Yeah or Nay?

LRonKnieval

First Post
I believe it was Sidran who wrote the Utalia doc. come to think of it.
I really like a lot of doc. (which is why I brought it up again)
I'm all for changing the names around,
but the other reason I think we should examine it is for geographic inconsistancies with the existing land masses. I only notice these things cause when I try to map them out, they don't always make sense.

At one time, I tried to map it into the kessel map, but was asked to pull it and revert to the earlier version (sans utalia). Basically the physical proximities of the locations should be straighted out according to politcal tensions and fairly logical geographics. For example, Weyamos is supposed to be the second of two large island, but also a desert. According to the original map it would be odd for the second largest island to be a desert and the cities that are already there aren't described as being in a desert setting. My original solution was to add another, large desert island farther south in the ocean, closer to the burned lands. Anyway, there are a few thing like that which should be dealt with. Over all though, I really liked the utalia doc, so I think we should keep it.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
a desert island in this area? I think that might be a typo. It wouldn't make any sense to have lush jungle in this area and then a few miiles south have a barren wasteland. If you move that to the southern tip of the burning god's land that would be appropriate. The topology can be changed right now so that's fine with the move.

LRonKnieval

First Post
Leopold,
You've got the Utalia version of the map right?
check the document as it is now against the Utalia map version to see what jives and what doesn't. Also check it against current documentation on the Shattered Islands, then let me know how close the map is to both of them.
From there you can change text that needs to be fixed and I'll make any changes you thing should be nade to the map.. Including any name adjustments.

L.Ron

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
the name adjustments are going to come from GreyOne i believe, that's his deal with the names. I personally don't mind having a spanish flair to the names but that's his choice on the project.

as for the locations didn't we have to move the isles around? Weren't there geographical imposibilities?

Sidran

First Post
I just wanted to belatedly say boo!!!

:p

The express reason I put spanish sounding names into the Utalian stuff was for regional flair. I am not satisfied with a unified world naming flick where every ones name is Jim, or Bill

or Mr. Smith

Sure I was writing out my ear when I orriginally wrote most of the Utalian stuff. ( And the whole of the Utalian Island chain is way south so if you stretched it Weymanos could be off the coast of the burned lands. )

Yes I know a lot of my stuff is not up to par or wasn't up to par with the way written material should be.

But how I have handled stuff lately is through the P.C. Wrede's World Building Questions so I may be willing to take a crack at the Isles again

Below is the Note map that I drew of the Isles when I first started writing the Doc.

Last edited:

Remove ads