• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampire Monks

Otterscrubber

First Post
In our last adventure our DM had us fight some vampire monks. My question is do they get their level drain with all their hand to hand attacks, or just with their slam attack, which can only be used once per round?

BenjaminB

First Post
What the heck is a slam attack anyway?

I don't like D&D's take on vampires all that much... do they drink blood, or do they touch drain levels? Mah.

-B

kreynolds

First Post
Otterscrubber said:
In our last adventure our DM had us fight some vampire monks. My question is do they get their level drain with all their hand to hand attacks, or just with their slam attack, which can only be used once per round?

From the FAQ...

Would all of the unarmed strikes by a vampiric monk
be considered slam attacks and bestow negative levels?
Would the vampire monk use its slam damage rating or
its monk unarmed damage rating?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbspCreatures with level-draining ability drain levels only once
per action, so if they get multiple attacks, only the first hit in
a series of hits bestows a negative level. (Note that a hasted
creature bestows a negative level with a hit during its regular
action and another negative level with a hit during its extra
partial action.)
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspAs pointed out before, creatures with monk levels can
combine their natural weapons and their monk unarmed
attacks in any way they see fit. For example, the monk could
use either its slam damage rating or its monk unarmed
damage rating, as it chooses. In either case, it can drain
energy as noted earlier. If the vampire wishes to use its monk
unarmed attack rate, it must use only its monk attack bonus,
however.

kreynolds

First Post
BenjaminB said:
What the heck is a slam attack anyway?

MM, page 7...

Slap or Slam: The creature batters opponents with an appendage, dealing bludgeoning damage.

MMII, page 12.

Slam or Tail Slap: The creature batters opponents with an appendage, dealing bludgeoning damage.

RigaMortus

Explorer
When I picture a slam, I picture one of two things. Either the monster is picking someone up and slaming them on the ground (which I don't think "Slam" accurately describes, and is probably not how the mechanics work at all). Or they are using both their hands, at the same time, to "slap" their opponent (or clasphing their hands together and swining that way).

kreynolds

First Post
I can picture many types of attacks appropriate to a slam or slap...backhand, closed fist punch, hack with the side of hand, elbow to the face, side of forearm to the throat, headbut...granted, most of those are kung-fu'i moves, but you get the idea. Besides, "slam" is just a generic term to describe the attack type and assign damage. You can describe the attack in whatever way makes most sense to you.

BenjaminB

First Post
So 'slam' is just a generic blunt force attack. Still, the name isn't great.

But still- why do vamps get the negative level thing? It doesn't fit the creature all that well.

-B

kreynolds

First Post
Possibly to signify some kind of weakness that overcomes their victims or something. You know, hollywood style...smack you across the room, and when you get up, you just can't fight as well as you could before. Downhill battle and all that. Who knows.

Remove ads