• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampire PC or NPCS ?

Guillaume2005

First Post
Personaly I think that the LA of +8 makes it kinda hard to play or to be perfecly balanced, but thats just my opinion.

I suppose that they are not 'suppose' to be Pcs,...BUT why the Lifedrinker Prc class then ?

/me waits your thoughs guys

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I think the PrC might have been aimed at NPCs/villains.

But yeah, they are tricky as PCs. Since they are tough, but otoh, have some fairly nasty weaknesses. There are a number of 3rd party books aimed at trying to make a better player vampire. (Lords of the Night: Vampires from Bottled Imp and Fang & Fury from Green Ronin are the best, IMHO)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Guillaume2005 said:
Personaly I think that the LA of +8 makes it kinda hard to play or to be perfecly balanced, but thats just my opinion.

It seems fairly balanced to me. A vampire PC is going to effectively have unlimited uses of spider climb, domination, polymorph (for three shapes), gaseous form, and energy drain, to name a few. They get five free feats, several skill bonuses, d12 hit dice, and a host of undead immunities. They don't die at 0 hp, can inflict ability damage, and even make servitor vampires.

There are the vampiric weaknesses, true (which can sometimes make it difficult to play a PC vampire...or easy to kill one), but that's still a ridiculously large amount of power for a PC to gain.

suppose that they are not 'suppose' to be Pcs,...BUT why the Lifedrinker Prc class then ?

Because they do need to make mechanics and such for NPCs also. Just look at the Vampire Lord (a superior vampire) or the Blood Ghoul (mortal servants who drink a vampire's blood). The bad guys need supplements, sourcebooks, and expansions too. ;)

JimAde

First Post
Libris Mortis also has a level progression for vampire spawn (though not true vampires) that let you take the abilities a little at a time.

Haltherrion

First Post
Guillaume2005 said:

I'd have trouble with a vampire in my game if it was true evil but that aside, I've always found the LAs over-called. If I was your ref, I'd generally let you propose lower LAs for non-standard races as long as you agreed I had the option to make adjustments later if necessary. (Put another way, I'll let you try it out at a lower LA in most cases because I'm pretty sure in most cases the LA isn't justified but in case I'm wrong, we need a way out .)

Anyway, talk to your ref and the other players about the LA. You could also propose omitting a few of the key benefits to drop the LA. It's worth a shot.

As an aside, my current campaign is two thirds non-standard races and it seems to be going well. Many are at lower LAs. (A somewhat toned down nymph at +4, half fiend, half celestial (wingless) at +4, half fiendish giant at +5, bronze dragon at much lower than the book amount, plus some human and elves.) Works out pretty well as +4/+5 is a pretty steep penalty already. The human and elf players are happy as are the other folks. There's some more info on the PCs here

Remove ads