• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Van Helsing Trailer

Tanager

This looks like good campy fun. I'm looking forward to it.

A thought on the 'monster on the roof'. Look where they are in the tracking shot up the side of the building. If I'm not mistaken thats the Notre Dame basilica in Paris. Could our misshappen monster be Quasimodo? He doesn't reall fit in with the Hammer Horror collection of baddies, and it would mean two hulking brute monsters (Frankenstein's Monster and Quasimodo) so I doubt it.

Just a thought at any rate.

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Kai Lord said:
The trailer is just to whet your appetite. The good directors know this (Peter Jackson, etc.) while the Robert Zemeckis's (Cast Away) don't.

I don't know that every director has control over the creation of the trailers though. I've read interviews with directors where they were very upset about exactly what and how much their movie's trailers had shown (like the Super Bowl trailer for Hulk), and I've read other interviews where the directors had total and complete control over the content of the trailers (like Del Toro with Hellboy.)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Tanager said:
A thought on the 'monster on the roof'. Look where they are in the tracking shot up the side of the building. If I'm not mistaken thats the Notre Dame basilica in Paris. Could our misshappen monster be Quasimodo? He doesn't reall fit in with the Hammer Horror collection of baddies, and it would mean two hulking brute monsters (Frankenstein's Monster and Quasimodo) so I doubt it.

Interesting. I'll note that the "Wanted" poster that he rips down is in French.

Alternatively, the monster wrapped in rags that opens its eyes makes me think of the mummy.

Last edited:

Michael Tree

First Post
Kai Lord said:
The trailer is just to whet your appetite. The good directors know this (Peter Jackson, etc.)
You mean aside from spoiling Gandalf's return for the millions of viewers who have never read the books? :eek:

Kai Lord

Hero
Michael Tree said:
You mean aside from spoiling Gandalf's return for the millions of viewers who have never read the books? :eek:
I would have preferred he didn't do that, but that was still nowhere near one of the biggest moments of the movie. The trailer was still just an appetizer.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kai Lord said:
I would have preferred he didn't do that, but that was still nowhere near one of the biggest moments of the movie.

It's about the biggest spoiler.

Nobody should be told before reading or watching FotR that Saruman is evil; nobody should be told before reading or watching TTT that Gandalf comes back.

-Hyp.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Hypersmurf said:
It's about the biggest spoiler.
Well, sure, but it's far from being the BIG moment of the film. As in the jaw-dropping HOLY CRAP THAT'S THE COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN moment.

Which was kind of the point of the original comment (mine) -- that the Van Helsing trailer gives you the impression that there's still cool stuff yet to be seen in the film, unlike some trailers that obviously show you all the cool stuff and still hope you'll come to the movie anyway...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
barsoomcore said:
Which was kind of the point of the original comment (mine) -- that the Van Helsing trailer gives you the impression that there's still cool stuff yet to be seen in the film, unlike some trailers that obviously show you all the cool stuff and still hope you'll come to the movie anyway...

Yeah. It still irritates me when there's a big cliffhanger moment in a film, and the audience is supposed to be thinking "Is that character going to die!?", and instead, they're thinking "Well, we haven't seen that scene with him from the trailer yet, so he must get out of it..."

-Hyp.

Remove ads