• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Van Helsing type of character

What does three levels of Ranger get you? Collossus Slayer? 1d8(d6?) to an attack?
What does three levels of Rogue get you? 2d6 extra damage 1/turn.

The real question is why have Ranger in the first place.

I plan on going 5 levels of ranger for CS, Extra Attack, FE-Undead and archery style. I started with rogue, so three more levels would only gain me 1d6 more SA damage.

Since I am already a 1st level rogue, 3 more levels would only make me 4th level rogue which shows a 2d6 sneak attack and I already have 1d6 from 1st level.

Another thought occurred to me is which type of rogue to go into when I get that far. I am leaning towards thief or trickster though I only have a 12 INT.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Why not Assassin?
Sneaking up on them and stabbing them in their sleep is very Assassiny.

And yes, me derp on my maths.

If I go the 2 warlock/5 ranger and the rest rogue, I am looking at level 13 abilities. Only the 3rd and 17th look good to me from the assassin. Thief and trickster have more good abilities, not to mention the AT spells.

What does three levels of Ranger get you? Collossus Slayer? 1d8(d6?) to an attack?
What does three levels of Rogue get you? 2d6 extra damage 1/turn.

The real question is why have Ranger in the first place.

Sorry to take so long getting back to this. I did end up going 2 levels of warlock to get Devil's Sight and Eldritch Sight while also picking up Hex, Comprehend Languages and Protection From Evil/Good.

I am nor ready to level to 4th and have to decide which direction to take. I could go 6 levels ranger to get
Archery Style
2 favorite Enemies
Colossus Slayer
Extra Attack
along with some useful spells like Cure Wounds and Silence (though it eats up my Concentration Slot that I would use for Hex)

I could go 6 level of fighter to get
Archery Style
Extra Attack
An extra feat/ASI
Action Surge
Second Wind
Plus what I would get from whatever archetype I chose.

I thought about just going more into rogue and/or warlock, but I think the extra attack would be better to have and as soon as possible.

As an aside, there's this Witch Hunter custom class made by Matt Mercer for Vin Diesel as a tie-in to Vin's upcoming movie. Very Van helsing.

I have looked at that. I may go that way if allowed though I did notice something missing that it probably should have, weapon styles. I view it akin to the ranger and paladin, so it should have a few of the weapon styles available.

Remove ads