• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vecna, Where is he now?

Tsyr said:
I would consider serving an evil god "consorting with evil", even if the paladin is too stupid to know it's an evil god.

Agreed.

Besides, why would Vecna give a LG paladin powers when he would use them for good things that would likely in the long run be Anti-Vecna.

Oh, think of the fun he'd have. Think--Hannibal Lecter and Clarice Starling. At the very least, how will the Paladin's supporters react when they find out who the Paladin serves. That alone could give Vecna a cheap thrill.

Oracular Vision

First Post
Again, I repeat, it is not "associate with evil", it is instead, not have evil associates, a fine distinction...

from the SRD

"Associates: while she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters. A paladin will not continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may only hire henchmen or accept followers who are lawful good."

So, no evil characters as friends or followers. Nothing about their god!

And, Paladins don't have to have any gods at all to have their powers, so Vecna doens't have to grant them any...

Wish you guys would read the manuals before commenting...guess its a forlorn hope...

Gargoyle

Adventurer
lol.

Vecna is busy recruiting legions of misguided blackguards, focused on using the letter of the law to spread corruption. ;)

Last edited:

MasterOfHeaven

First Post
Oracular Vision said:
Again, I repeat, it is not "associate with evil", it is instead, not have evil associates, a fine distinction...

from the SRD

"Associates: while she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters. A paladin will not continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may only hire henchmen or accept followers who are lawful good."

So, no evil characters as friends or followers. Nothing about their god!

And, Paladins don't have to have any gods at all to have their powers, so Vecna doens't have to grant them any...

Wish you guys would read the manuals before commenting...guess its a forlorn hope...

Actually, although I'm not sure exactly where in the books this is mentioned, I thought Paladins (if they have a god) are required to have a god that is within one step of their own alignment. Thus, there are only Paladins of LG, NG and LN gods.

Tsyr

Explorer
MasterOfHeaven said:

Actually, although I'm not sure exactly where in the books this is mentioned, I thought Paladins (if they have a god) are required to have a god that is within one step of their own alignment. Thus, there are only Paladins of LG, NG and LN gods.

Sadly, no. I'm familiar with the loophole OV is using. That's a clerical rule, not a paladin one. While you would assume (since it's the same power source and casting mechanics) that the same would hold true for paladins, no where in the rules does it specificly say that.

On the other hand, me and OV disagree over the "deal with evil" bit. I say that serving a god counts, he disagrees. I think he's a fool, he... well... probably thinks I am :D

simonski

First Post
Regarding Paladins, Why bother about the alignment rules? What is good, what is evil, it is hard to determine really and I think that all servers of faith believe that their own god is the solution for creating good in the world in the long run. But either way, the paladins HOLY abilities could just as well be UNholy abilities. You really have to work to get rid of the Christian Knight glow that surrounds the paladin class.

Just my two cents.

And thanks for all the info on vecna, it will come in handy :)

Frostmarrow

First Post
In our campaign we have a Paladin of Kord. He is also quite lonely in his pursuits. However, he has managed to convert most of the party to Kord. (Not me, though, I'm lawful good but I still do Kord's bidding by association).

Another character in another campaign (same world, same time) went to Boccob's Library on another plane (can't remember which one right now) and witnessed Kord arguing, all fired up, with some celestial solicitors. Kord was very upset shouting at the barristers that he WANTED paladins. They replied "But why? You already have one..." It seems that Kord won't listen to reason and Kord is the kind of guy that gets what he wants.

Ironically, in the same campaign, all paladins of Heironeous have denounced their faith and disappeared in search for a new god. (Which I find very disturbing, I mean, I'm lawful good).

You see, anything can happen in a fantasy campaign. Perhaps Vecna likes the idea of having a paladin?

Remove ads