• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Veronica Mars - Season Finale! (Spoilers for last 2 seasons okay)

RichCsigs

First Post
I won't say anything yet about it (for the west coasters), but WOW! Totally didn't see the killer coming (and really should have)! Right there in front of our faces! Bravo!

Last edited:

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this episode. For one thing, I think there was too much going on- there was so much to wrap up, that it didn't feel like certain things really got the attention they deserved.

As for the killer, it really came from left field for me- although, admittedly (and sadly) I did miss a lot of this season, so maybe I just missed the right clues. One thing really cheesed me off-
The fact that Beaver actually *did* rape Veronica. I kind of wish they'd let that storyline die with the revelation that it was drunken but consensual sex with Duncan, but it's mainly because the mention and discussion of rape really upsets and angers me.

Some other things I found a bit jarring- Duncan's deal with Clarence Wiedman. I liked seeing them both again, but I found the cold-bloodedness of their interaction to be a bit disconcerting.

A couple of lingering questions on my mind at the end of the episode- Couldn't Keith have called Veronica? I mean, really, we're supposed to believe he didn't say *anything* to her? And was Lamb on the plane? Keith sort of implies that he was, but you'd think they'd say one way or the other.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That folks were blindsided by the culprit is not surprising. Some critical data we needed to reach the conclusion was not available until this episode. That's a fairly typical tactic when writing mysteries. It ensures that the audience won't be able to prove this suspicions before the detective character.

I find it a bit annoying, kind of like the mystery version of deus ex machina. Luckily, the characters and banter and such are enough to keep the show entertaining despite the annoyance :)

Spoiler: Veronica Mars - Season Finale

Warning: This post will now contain spoilers. I think there is no point discussing the finale without doing that :)

Umbran said:
That folks were blindsided by the culprit is not surprising. Some critical data we needed to reach the conclusion was not available until this episode. That's a fairly typical tactic when writing mysteries. It ensures that the audience won't be able to prove this suspicions before the detective character.
Yes, I agree that is a weak point. But on the other hand, there were a lot of people who wondered about Beavers intention and plans.

I think the resolution was better than last season, since Beaver seemed to have a stronger tie to Woody and all the evens, and his behaviour implied some mental problems (though the range of possiblities was high - from just unable to admit being gay to being molested...)
But I always hoped he wasn't a (the) bad guy.

I still think they could and should improve on that - I have no problem of being unable to prove a certain point, but more clues (possibly compensated by more red herrings) would be nice sometimes.

Beaver raping Veronica is... well, a surprise, though it explains a lot. I wonder if we could have connected the dots earlier if we all had the last season fresh in our mind. It certainly shows that no closure is safe in Veronica Mars.

I was surpised Aaron Echolles admitted his guilt to Veronica, but I guess he is relatively safe after beeing found not guilty. At least it affirmed us that he deserved what he got. I didn't think that it would be Duncan asking(ordering?) Clarence to do it - I expected the Kane parents to do so. Interestingly, this implies that Duncan might have some help besides Veronica out there. (but it probably doesn't matter, we will probably not see him again...)

Glad that Veronicas father is still alive - but maybe we better wait on what he has to do for Mrs. Casablanca.

I wonder what will happen to Weevil - is there any real proof against him? Besides his criminal record and the eye witness? Might become a minor storyline in the next season.

One question I don't know the answer about yet (maybe I missed it): Where will Veronica study? I assume she didn't get the Kane scholarship since she missed the test (unfortunately, for one of her biggest defeats...)

When will the next season start? (There will be a next season, won't it?)

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
There's no definite word on a third season, unfortunately. I think they left her college plans murky on purpose.

It's possible that Kendall showed Keith a bunch of money, which could also change Veronica's college plans.

Lamb wouldn't have been on the plane, no. He wouldn't even have been in Reno. He would have just ordered Keith not to be on the plane by phone with the Reno cops. Realistically Lamb couldn't even have flown up there in time to fly back, and if he had then they surely would have used that same police plane.

I was certainly surprised at the conclusion, but then also was fine with it because it doesn't contradict in any way the facts we've been given.

One thing I don't think was resolved at all: why did Kendall pull a pube (or whatever) out of (assumedly) Logan's shower drain for Aaron? And just what was their arrangement? Assumedly (again) it relates to planting some DNA evidence against Logan. I suspect that's what Kendall's on about to Keith.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Fast Learner said:
There's no definite word on a third season, unfortunately. I think they left her college plans murky on purpose.

It's possible that Kendall showed Keith a bunch of money, which could also change Veronica's college plans.

Lamb wouldn't have been on the plane, no. He wouldn't even have been in Reno. He would have just ordered Keith not to be on the plane by phone with the Reno cops. Realistically Lamb couldn't even have flown up there in time to fly back, and if he had then they surely would have used that same police plane.

I was certainly surprised at the conclusion, but then also was fine with it because it doesn't contradict in any way the facts we've been given.

One thing I don't think was resolved at all: why did Kendall pull a pube (or whatever) out of (assumedly) Logan's shower drain for Aaron? And just what was their arrangement? Assumedly (again) it relates to planting some DNA evidence against Logan. I suspect that's what Kendall's on about to Keith.

Actually, there seems to be a hint for next season. When Duncan talked to Clarence, he said "CW" and then Clarence said "Its a done deal..."

A lot of fans on the net are taking this as a hidden clue that Veronica Mars has made it unto the CW lineup.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
BrooklynKnight said:
Actually, there seems to be a hint for next season. When Duncan talked to Clarence, he said "CW" and then Clarence said "Its a done deal..."

A lot of fans on the net are taking this as a hidden clue that Veronica Mars has made it unto the CW lineup.

Hm. Hadn't looked at it that way- I just assumed he was using Clarence Wiedman's initials.

I have heard that it is a pretty solid lock that there will be a third season. Kristin on E! gossip says she heard from an insider who heard from Dawn Ostroff (the president of CW) that it is coming back, and Rob Thomas keeps going on about how he's had a shower installed in his office at work.

RichCsigs

First Post
I read an interview with Kristen Bell (on TVGuide.com I think) where she said the creaters were so sure they were being renewed that they were moving foward as if it was happening. Apparently, there is also talk that they are going to be dropping the season long mystery as they weren't happy with how this years turned out and that they will instead do 2 - 4 mysteries over the course of the season instead.

Cthulhudrew said:
Couldn't Keith have called Veronica? I mean, really, we're supposed to believe he didn't say *anything* to her?
They very clearly show Veronica not getting a cell phone signal in the airport, so that's why she didn't get the call. But that doesn't work for me as (1) Keith could've called the airport and had her paged or (2) Veronica could've stepped outside the airport to get her messages or (3) Veronica could've just used a pay phone to call him.

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I wonder what will happen to Weevil - is there any real proof against him? Besides his criminal record and the eye witness? Might become a minor storyline in the next season.
I honestly saw this as "We don't know if Francis Cappra is coming back next year, so lets put him in jail and if he's back next season we can just have him released." I don't know if that's true, that's just the impression I was left with.

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
One question I don't know the answer about yet (maybe I missed it): Where will Veronica study? I assume she didn't get the Kane scholarship since she missed the test (unfortunately, for one of her biggest defeats...)
She has to go to the same school as Wallace (I can't remember the name). If she doesn't then there's no Wallace, no Logan, no Mr. Mars, no Weevil, no Mac (and there better be Mac!! *sigh*). Also, we never did find out who was drugging the women, sleeping with them (said nicely for Cthulhudrew's sake) and shaving their heads, which I immediately thought would be brought up next season.

Fast Learner said:
The pube was the "hair" of Duncan's that was found with Aaron's Oscar statue. It was placed there to make it look like Duncan killed Lilly after all. This, along with slandering Veronica, was enough for the jury to free Aaron.

Okay, one thing that my friends and I have been discussing but couldn't agree on. Was Mac.... violated in the shower? Some are arguing that she was because she was found curled up next to the bed saying, "He took my clothes", rather than angerly running around the room going, "Where are my clothes?" Remember, she didn't know he was dead yet (unless he passed by the bedroom window).

I'm also willing to make a bet right now that Veronica will end up going to NYC without her dad and spend the week with Wallace and Jackie, and then come back with Wallace. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Remove ads