• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Very Off-Topic] What's my MHz?

Fenros

First Post
Sad to say, but alas.....I'm not very computer savy. I've got my eye on getting "NeverWinter Nights", but want to make sure my system specs are up to snuff.

I know what Sound Card I have, I know what 3D Card I have. I know how much RAM, I know the OS, ...........

..........but one thing escapes me. No matter how much I search under Control Panel, or under System Specs under System Tools, under Accessories, or in the friggin manual.........nothing says what my MHz is!!

How do I find out?

Please help this pathetic soul. Thanks.:)

BMF

First Post
I'm not very computer savy either, but in my exp. the Mhz is listed somewhere on the "tower" or outside panel of the computer itself. It should also be in the manual, but you have already checked there.

My old computer had it listed right on the front, my new one has it listed on the side of the tower.

Have you checked the outside of your machine??

Fade

First Post
Reboot your machine, and watch the screen during startup. If that fails, reboot again and enter the BIOS (it will tell you how during bootup, generally hit DEL during the memory test).

DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. If you do, exit without saving.

You should be able to find your clock speed somewhere there.

Zappo

Explorer
All machines I've seen tell you the Mhz during boot. Look carefully in the upper left corner: it should say something on the line of "Pentium III 800 Mhz" somewhere. The number is your frequency.

However, some "cover" the boot messages with a graphical screen. This depends on the motherboard; I've seen it with a couple Intel boards. Hit ESC to make the image go away.

Luiz d'Artayn

First Post
Start -> Run

in the box enter:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXDIAG.EXE

and the MHz will be listed on the first panel of that program, about half way down as "Processor: _____"

drothgery

First Post
Luiz d'Artayn said:
Start -> Run

in the box enter:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXDIAG.EXE

and the MHz will be listed on the first panel of that program, about half way down as "Processor: _____"

If you're running an NT-based OS (Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP), it'll be in WinNT\System32 , not Windows\System.

Another really cheesy way to check...
Start Word (or another Office app). Go to the Help menu. Select 'About Microsoft Word'. Click on the 'System Info...' button.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
drothgery said:

If you're running an NT-based OS (Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP), it'll be in WinNT\System32 , not Windows\System.

Another really cheesy way to check...
Start Word (or another Office app). Go to the Help menu. Select 'About Microsoft Word'. Click on the 'System Info...' button.

Actually in XP run "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DXDIAG.EXE".

Fenros

First Post
Thanks to everyone for all the good tips. I'll be trying each of them.

I think (not sure.........the trick is I wanna know for sure) mine is a 450 MHz. Its a Pentium II. On the side of boxes for game requirements they always list Pentium II's at 450. But the thing is, I'm not an expert on that either. Do all Pentium processors come with standard MHz? Or are there different versions within different versions? *Shrug*

Yah, my computer doesn't list the spec on the side of the tower. My old one did, but this new one that I'm using is a hand me down from a relative. He obviously took the 'sticker' off the side after purchasing it.

I find it odd that its so hard to find out such a simple bit of info.

thanks again everyone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads