[VERY OT--Computers] Fastest computer ever?

MythandLore

First Post
Trevalon Moonleirion said:
I just had this site pointed out to me by a friend a few minutes ago. It's completely OT, but rather interesting. The first part of the site isn't in english, but there is a translation down at the bottom.

http://www.muropaketti.com/artikkelit/cpu/northwood2200/ln2/index.phtml

PC not computer.
Other "computers" are faster.
And it's single Processor, I think multi-Processor computers can be faster too.
So the question is:
Could this be the Fastest Personal Computer Processor?

Last edited:

Jhamin

First Post
Give it six months and you will be able to buy a PC like this at Best Buy.

Sorry, I just have trouble marveling at really high numbers that are based on obscure rating systems.

Remember when the average Pentium3 went from 800mhz to 900mhz? Then how it was somehow alot more cool when they went from 900mhz to 1ghz. It increased by the same decimal amount measuring a number most people don't understand anyway but somehow the 1ghz machine was incredibly so much faster than anything else in the world.

These things keep getting faster and so no sign of not continuing to.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
My PC has 1.4 GHz, if that helps. :)

Attachments

• Tiefling-Compilation-1024x912.jpg
    Tiefling-Compilation-1024x912.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 22,859

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I think it is Moores law that stated that the speed of processors doubles every six months. Quantum computers are just around the corner, just earlier this month or was it last that had one doing simple math.

It is size and portability that is going to be key.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hand of Evil said:
I think it is Moores law that stated that the speed of processors doubles every six months.

Not that fast. It's currently more like every 18 months, and Moore's Law applies to processors, but is really more about overall computer power...

From the Jargon File:
The observation that the logic density of silicon integrated circuits has closely followed the curve (bits per square inch) = 2^(t - 1962) where t is time in years; that is, the amount of information storable on a given amount of silicon has roughly doubled every year since the technology was invented. This relation, first uttered in 1964 by semiconductor engineer Gordon Moore (who co-founded Intel four years later) held until the late 1970s, at which point the doubling period slowed to 18 months. The doubling period remained at that value through time of writing (late 1999). Moore's Law is apparently self-fulfilling. The implication is that somebody, somewhere is going to be able to build a better chip than you if you rest on your laurels, so you'd better start pushing hard on the problem.

Zappo

Explorer
Bah. Except for certain specialized users, that kind of processor power is rather useless. Even for 3d games, having a good graphic card is more important than having an ultra processor. I have a 800 mhz comp and there's absolutely nothing of what I do that "runs slow" outside of videogames. The waiting times for applications are almost 100% due to my slow HD. And I still have to buy a game that I can't run at maximum options - I am going to change video card, but only because of the new effects and all that otherwise I would miss, not because of the framerate.

This processor race is stupid... I'd invest more in fast hard disks, DVD readers and RAM.

drothgery

First Post
Jhamin said:
Remember when the average Pentium3 went from 800mhz to 900mhz? Then how it was somehow alot more cool when they went from 900mhz to 1ghz. It increased by the same decimal amount measuring a number most people don't understand anyway but somehow the 1ghz machine was incredibly so much faster than anything else in the world.

That'd be kind of difficult, as there was never a 900 Mhz PIII...

Intel released an 800, then 1 GHz (in very limited quantities), then backfilled in the 866 and 933 once volumes of 1 GHz P3s were decent. They later had 1.3 GHz P4s for a while, released after the 1.4 GHz models.

graydoom

First Post
Personally, I find RAM to be a lot more important than processor speed. That's probably because I mostly use my computer for computer games.

Remove ads