• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Victorian Eberron idea

drothgery

First Post
EvolutionKB said:
There are some good alchemical items in the Planar Handbook as well.

Now that's one of the few non-FR D&D 3.x books I don't have... and since Eberron's cosmology is radically different than standard, I can't say I'm much inclined to grabbing it.

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
drothgery said:
Now that's one of the few non-FR D&D 3.x books I don't have... and since Eberron's cosmology is radically different than standard, I can't say I'm much inclined to grabbing it.

The Planar Handbook isn't Eberron, though; it uses the standard cosmology.

Of course, it's still not that great a book... :p

drothgery

First Post
Blind Azathoth said:
The Planar Handbook isn't Eberron, though; it uses the standard cosmology.

Exactly. The vast majority of the tabletop and PBP games I play in and/or run are Eberron (including this one, albeit in a somewhat modified form). A planar book that uses the standard cosmology is of little use to me most of the time.

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
Ah, well, see, I assumed it was because you use the standard cosmology and for some reason thought the Planar HB was about Eberron's cosmology and thus didn't want it. I don't know why I assumed this; it seems very silly to me now. My mistake.

And ironically, I was thinking about a genius Sherlock Holmesian detective-type for this game...

Jemal

Adventurer
Blind Azathoth said:
And ironically, I was thinking about a genius Sherlock Holmesian detective-type for this game...

Even Scotland Yard can't get'em all. The Mounties can, however... O CANADA!!

BTW, drothgery, you sayed "much faster stat increases than normal".. care to elaborate, or haven't figured it out yet?

drothgery

First Post
Jemal said:
BTW, drothgery, you sayed "much faster stat increases than normal".. care to elaborate, or haven't figured it out yet?

I'm still working on it. The problem is that a simple, straightforward progression (like the +2/ever other level, no raising the same stat twice in a row I proposed up-thread) is going to be substantially ahead of where DMG wealth puts you at low leves ... and be left in the dust by high levels. That's true of a lot of the stuff I'm doing for this game; low level characters are going to be substantially more capable than they'd be in a standard wealth/standard magic game, but high level characters are going to be substantially less capable. And I'm generally in favor of flattening the power curve some. But I'm worried a bit about side effects.

The basic problem is that it's not until 7th level that a +2 item costs less than a quarter of DMG wealth (and so is effectively affordable). But only 4 levels later (at 11th) a +4 items passes that threshhold, and three levels after that (14th) +6 items become available. And a 20th level character could have six of them and have almost half a million gp to spare for other stuff.

Shalimar

First Post
How about +2 every 3 Levels up to 9 and then +4 from 12-18?

This also bring up the question of money, with getting our 'magic' bonues from stat increases we don't have a much we need to buy so wealth levels will probably be lower too, but then again stat boosters weren't all the magic items normally bought, there are Quiver's of Elhonna, portable holes, skill boosters (like a ring to boost Hide/Move silently), etc.

Remove ads