[Vile] Puppy Kicking PCs at Work

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
"Now, now, you certainly aren't encouraging your employees to help you break a deal, are you? Why, if you're willing to stiff the hired help once, why not again? What's to keep you from turning poor Alicia out on the street, now that she's done your dirty work? You're already underpaying her, and if she's getting greedy, why, you might even be tempted to be rid of her permanently. And that's an idea you'd never want Alicia to get. Except I think the dear's already got that, hasn't she?"

Madame Brie said:
“It clearly wasn’t my doorman who managed to get it open, now was it? Doesn’t look like you drank any. What’s the matter, can’t read goblin? Here, hand them to me, along with whatever other valuables you stole. Or do I need to go count it and deduct what’s missing from what I owe you? I should deduct what it’s going to cost to have that trap reset.” She pauses for moment, then smiles and adds “But I won’t. I’m in too good a mood.”

She continues, “But on that matter, I think I said 2000 gold, plus 400 per girl. I’ll go fetch it. But, I only saw two of the girls on the front step as I came in. Where’s Missy? Where’d you find the other two?” She grabs one of the potions T’aria brought in and throws it to Alicia, saying “Good girl. You did good today. Drink this, and you’ll feel better.”

T'aria smiles coldly, anger barely kept in check. "Goblin? Of course not. Why would I bother to learn such a low language? And frankly, I was attempting to save your lockbox so that your goon wouldn't destroy it or the contents." She tosses the potions to Madam Brie.

"We found the girls the same place that Missy is probably hiding. However, we dropped out of the search for her to come help to save your hide from him." She gestures in the direction of the hound archon. "One of your girls informed us of his attack. And speaking of his attack... Gwyn has the right of it - you are trying to stiff the hired help. Those were not the agreed-upon payments."

T'aria glares at Brie, then suddenly her eyes narrow and she gives a smile complete with fangs. "Of course, I could always take our full pay out of this...." She pulls out the small bag of gems, "...or the platinum from your horde." She reaches a hand into the pocket with the coins.

"Or..." T'aria gains a mock-thoughtful look, "You could pay us what is owed, reimburse Alicia for whatever is due her, I could give back these items, and we could forget this whole nasty little situation." She commences tosses the bag of gems into the air and catching it with the same hand, picture of an individual killing time while awaiting a decision.

Last edited:

Telsar

First Post
[OOC BTW, forgot to mention last time, the healing potion Alicia drank gave her back 9 HPs. Current total: 16/26]

Madame Brie, a little miffed at how the conversation is turning, says to Gwyn, “If Alicia is getting greedy, I know exactly where she learned it. But she knows I won’t turn her out… I depend on her. There’s ‘dirty work’ to do every day. I’m just reminding you who she works for. I don’t need to encourage her to break the deal. If I want to break it, I’ll do it myself.”

She lightens her tone a bit, talking to everyone now, “But I’m not trying to cheat you… just seeing if you’re paying attention. If you were gullible enough to go for the lower offer, well, that’s just business. Never hurts to try. And I know who to come to next time I have, shall we say, specialized needs. So give me my gems, and I’ll go get your payment. I believe your leader,” she nods to Lydia, apparently referring to her, “negotiated it up to 3500, plus bringing the two girls back is 1200. 4700 gold total. For good will, we’ll make it an even 5000. It’s worth it to have that thing dead. Damn thing trashed my dining room and nearly killed me.” She turns to the half-ogre and says, “Alicia, I can spare a bit more, just for you. Another 500 pieces of shiny gold. But you have to promise not to let these people, or anyone else, put bad ideas in your head.”

As she waits for the return of her gems, Gwyn hears something outside. A quick look out the door shows 5 more city guards, including the one that ran away before, rushing towards the building.

[Gwyn rolled listen 16+5=21. No one else rolled well enough to hear anything]

Upstairs, Accalon’s choice of words brings on more questions from the girls. “It was a creature? What kind of creature? Did it… oh my god, did it eat the girls it took? We thought it was just some sort of wizard! What did it to do to Missy and the others?”

Loni realizes that Accalon isn’t getting the reaction he’d prefer, and gets a little upset, saying to them “Look, Accalon needs rest right now, he was just in a terrible battle, he doesn’t need you nagging at him, but he does need everyone up here knowing they’re OK now. If you want answers, go ask Brie.” The girls look a bit shocked, obviously not used to this attitude from Loni, but agree to go tell everyone. After they leave, Loni turns to Accalon, saying “That was terrible of me. I’m sorry. I just… just didn’t want them badgering you. This has been… kind of a rough morning for me.” She smiles softly, and then says, “But it’s been rougher for you. Is there anything I can do to help with the pain?”

T'aria eyes the goblin for a moment, then nods and tosses her the bag of gems. She starts to pull a handful of platinum out of her cloak pocket, but frowns when Gwyn mentions the guards and instead goes to retrieve the dagger she had thrown at the archon. She slips it back into its place, awaiting Brie's answer and readying herself to slide into the shadows should it come to a fight.

So... the dark-haired one got a better price, eh? Not bad... I need to find healing before another fight though, or I'm not going to be around to enjoy that better price.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Accalon Darcanda: Human/Male (Unholy Warrior)

Accalon had looked just as surprised as Loni’s sisters had at her stern words but his face lightens into a smile as the group of sisters reluctantly turn and leave. Letting his guard down after their departure, and looking more tired in the process, Accalon lightly pats the bed next to him.

After Loni joins him, and he lightly wraps her up in his arms, he speaks softly into her ear as he brushes her light brown hair with his free hand, “There’s no need to apologize Loni, quite the contrary my dear, your inner strength is more than you give yourself credit for.” He continues as he gives her a reassuring squeeze, “To be honest if it wasn’t for you I imagine that Ezuvial would still be on the prowl and your sisters would still be in danger.”

Holding her still Accalon goes quite for a minute or two letting her think upon his words, “As for your concerns, I was never to worried about getting paid but my associates would be differently… I only know one of them at all, and she’s mostly an enigma too, but there a dark bunch ruled by greed.”

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"Oh, and I should mention we offered the dwarf a cut," Alev says, once the real argument is over. "It's spread so thin, I was sure it wouldn't be missed. But you can contest it. I would love to see us come to blows," he says, to no one in particular.

Quietly, he trots over to the fallen archon, sits cross-legged next to it, and absent-mindedly begins whittling away...

Telsar

First Post
Madame Brie says to Alev, “You’re a strange one, you know that? If you want to fight amongst yourself, for bigger shares or just to compare weapon sizes, I suggest you take it outside. This place is already going to be hard enough to get clean.”

When Gwyn mentions the guards approaching, Brie’s face scrunches in consternation. “The two who like my money the best, well, I should say who like what I give them in place of money, are lying unconscious on the floor. But there shouldn’t be any trouble, unless… unless this ‘slestial’ whatever he was, was someone important.” Algernon says with a wry smile, “He was from a higher plane of existence. How important could he be?”

Four of the guards rush into the foyer, making it quite crowded, weapons drawn, apparently expecting a fight. All look stunned at what’s left of the archon, a bloody pile of bones, flesh, and blood, with various pieces missing, in the hands of those who wanted souvenirs. The one who had fled earlier asks, “What… what happened? You killed it?”. Brie looks at him and says “Yes, it was killed. And I do thank the city guard for their assistance, but as you can see, no more help is necessary.”

Gwyn notices the fifth guard, still outside, examining Miri and Jeleneth for a quick moment, then following the others inside. This guard’s uniform is slightly different than the others, sporting a short cape and a number of medals on his armored chest. He looks around the foyer, alert eyes taking in everything. He clears his throat and says “My name is lieutenant Modrin. Looks like we’ve had quite the bloodbath tonight.” He looks at Brie and says “You are the owner of this ‘boarding house’, correct? I’ll need to know exactly what happened.”

Madame Brie greets him, adding “You must be new. I don’t remember seeing you before.” He says “Not new. Just not typically assigned to this area. Now, what happened here?” Brie explains that this creature had been kidnapping girls from her boarding house, and was here tonight to kidnap another. But luckily she hired this adventuring party, who managed to find two of the girls, and kill the thing. Modrin nods, then says “Oddly enough, this is the fifth death tonight, although the rest were all human. This will go down in the record books. Has the feeling of someone making a power play, setting an example maybe.” He looks at the party members, “So you’ve all been here all night, laying your trap for this thing?”

Upstairs, Loni seems much more relaxed, now in Accalon’s arms. Commenting on the ‘dark bunch’ downstairs, “I’m not sure it’s just greed. Those two who were with Alicia, especially the man… if I hadn’t been feeling jittery from the bodyguard, the savageness that man was using on a poor dog, and Miri lying there, it was just…” She trails off, “I think you should be careful around them, that’s all. But I’m sure you’re always very careful.”

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Accalon Darcanda: Human/Male (Unholy Warrior)

Accalon smiles quickly at Loni’s comment and obvious concern, “Being careful is just as dangerous as being overzealous, I aim to maintain an even amount of caution. I have no doubt that they’re trouble, but it’s like your line of work, you haven’t liked every John yet you service them… I don’t like every adventuring companion I’ve ever had yet I continue to need them as they do me.”

He gentle turns her face so he can look upon her, “Does that make sense, Loni?”

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Telsar said:
He looks at the party members, “So you’ve all been here all night, laying your trap for this thing?”

"Not quite. The lady (pointing to T'aria), the bouncer (indicating Alicia), and I went out to retrieve the missing girls. We were lucky, and found them straightaway; before we had brought them back, we received word that this thing was attacking the house, so we hurried back"

Remove ads