Vin Diesel plays D&D

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Re: Vin Disel panders to the DND. :)

Voneth said:
Besides, why would a real DNDer need to buy $800 worth of stuff he should already have on his book shelf.

He may have been picking up a (small) bag of Dwarven Forge expansion sets. Ok, ok, at a WotC store. It may have been any number of extras beyond the core books. He's got more cash now than he knows what to do with, picks up a bunch of things he doesn't have (minis, even) and gives what he doesn't like to his buddies that next time he plays.

I think the phrase "pandering" conjures up more negative conotations in a lot of minds then positive. Remember, a large portion of his Action Movie audience is made up of sports fanatics (some of us play D&D, too, I know) and a lot of them might write him off after hearing that news. Or, if not write him off, lower their estimation of him a notch or two. I know that a lot of the folks I have known who are big into Action movies and sports don't even bother with Sci/Fi action flciks, barring T1 or anything Arnold pumps out. Forget about Bruce Willis if he isn't a cop (12 Monkeys, and the like).

So, ultimately, I highly doubt this is some ruse to try and woo the gamer crowd. I have my doubts that unless a movie is directly connected to our hobby, that anyone would go out of their way to try and woo us. Interesting thought, though.

I asked in the other thread (before Mistwell baited some folks into a debate about Vin's level of stardom) what the project might be, with my speculation edging toward the FR series rather than a movie. I don't think that another movie with the D&D brand attached willl happen until they've tested the market further with the FR series, and I think it would be wise for them to get someone like him to lead the cast (or be a big part of it).

My two cents... :)

herald

First Post
Sorry Mac, I just couldn't pass on a straight line like that. If that was his intention, he wasn't successful in getting it accross in the artice. Is answer was. "It's for a secret project."

The new conan movie is well known about, as for the other, I can't comment.

Mark

Cergorach said:
First thing that shot through my mind was "FR series... Drizzt... OH-MY-GOD!". Think up some black makeup, pointy ears, a black panther companion and two swords, we got a winner ;-)

I remember an interview where he complained about wearing the contact lens he had to wear in Pitch Black (because of the sand blowing around, I believe). So we know he could handle some special make up considerations for a character... :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I guarantee you that in the U.S., if anyone but an African American portrays Drizzt Do'Urden, then the NAACP will be staging a boycott that will make anti-Harry Potter rallys seem like a throat-clearing.

(A) Can you imagine putting a caucasian in black-face or night-blue face, or anything similar, and not having civil liberties groups getting upset?

(B) Can you even imagine putting an African American in greasepaint, and not having civil liberties groups saying anything derogatory? The only reason Spike Lee got away with it was because (1) He was making social commentary, and (2) he's Spike Lee.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Henry said:
I guarantee you that in the U.S., if anyone but an African American portrays Drizzt Do'Urden, then the NAACP will be staging a boycott that will make anti-Harry Potter rallys seem like a throat-clearing.

Man, I would normally avoid any FR tv show/movie, but if the NAACP disliked it- then I would have to become a number one fan.

FD

Mark

Henry said:

(A) Can you imagine putting a caucasian in black-face or night-blue face, or anything similar, and not having civil liberties groups getting upset?

(B) Can you even imagine putting an African American in greasepaint, and not having civil liberties groups saying anything derogatory? The only reason Spike Lee got away with it was because (1) He was making social commentary, and (2) he's Spike Lee.

Perhaps, but I wasn't looking at it that way. To my mind, it isn't an actor portraying a black man. It's an actor portraying a Drow. In my mind that's more along the lines of Mistique from X-Men than a Ted Danson/Whoopi Goldberg prank.

Just explaining my perspective...

Remove ads