Vin Diesel plays D&D

El Ravager

First Post
I don't buy the conspiracies. As a gamer for 5 years and a DM, I have a modest collection of books. I could still, if I had the money to throw around, buy 800 bucks worth of D20 stuff.

Just take a look at how many d20 products that are out there. Always something more to buy if you have the money.

=====
El Rav

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
If more people like Vin Disel came forward and admitted that they were playing/buying D&D or other dorky activities, more power to them.

Heck, I'd support Arnold coming out and saying "Ah've read Chawsuh!" or "Ah love fracol geomuhtrey!"

Even if they're pandering to our market, they're changing the image of the game, and that's a benefit that can't really be ignored.

Remember, not all towel-snapping jocks are complete intellectual bigots. They're people, too. :)

Vin playing D&D is one of the good things that have happened to the passtime.

I support the idea that WotC should invest in some commercial showing action stars, movie stars, famous people in general, saying "I Play Dungeons and Dragons". Call it an "Out of the Basement" campaign.

You guys at WotC listening?

But they're already doing that a bit, with the TV shows and movies and stuff.

Maybe one of the secret projects is one of the Drizzit movies that have been rumored....?

Just some random thoughts.

Chrysoula

First Post
Um, in another interview (one I think referenced somewhere here), I'm pretty sure he said he hadn't gamed in quite some time. This makes sense; celebrities don't always have a lot of time for relaxation, especially when they've been so busy building a career like Vin Diesel has been.

So I really have no problem seeing Vin suddenly finding a bit of time to go buy all the D&D books out. The man's been pretty busy for the last two or three years.

Klaus

First Post
Waaaaay before Scorpion King got made (I believe some three years ago), WIZARD magazine did an article on celebrities that read comics. Vin Diesel was featured, and his DnD gaming days were public already. At that time Vin was rumored for the Diablo movie...

So it's got nothing to do with SK or LotR movies being huge hits. And I do believe his DM is a friend and Vin is giving him a hand at "breaking into the industry". If YOU were a movie star, wouldn't you help a talented friend (assuming his friend is talented)?

Voneth

First Post
Originally posted by Voneth

Besides, why would a real DNDer need to buy $800 worth of stuff he should already have on his book shelf.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

Maybe he and his group is finally giving 3e a try after playing 1e since he was 12? Or maybe, if he is gonna be in a D&Dish movie, he wants to be able to conduct an interview like he knows what he's doing - unlike that bitch in "Dungeons and Dragons" - I forget her name.

Uhhh, my point exactly.

If he was a real DNDer, whay would he have to worry about how to conduct an interview? He'd know the stuff already.

muhcashin

Explorer
Mainstreaming

D&D is becoming more mainstream. obviously. And that's probably thanks to the marketing people down at WotC who've managed to put up ads of D&D in magazines such as Maxim. I, personnally, think that Maxim is awful, and always thought roleplayers were above this kind of trash. Although, I DO admit that the covers usually catch my attention. Anywho, the ads are certainly not aimed at roleplayers, but at those who shun the hobby as if it was plague. D&D has a bad reputation because of the satanist crap and nerd stuff. By the way, I started D&D in 1999 and until then, I thought and was sure that all roleplayers were the stereotypical loser/geek/nerd/dork/whatevermachacallits. The fact that I joined the ranks of roleplayers shows that the game is slowly spreading and becoming more and more mainstream.

"So what if it's getting mainstream? WotC is just trying to make more money." is what many would say. And they're probably right. But pop culture has shown us that people will bite into whatever is thrown at them like hungry dogs. N'Sync, Britney Spears, Nelly, Vin Diesel flicks are all garbage, but people are willing to go see the movies, buy the records and watch MTV for hours. I mean reality game shows are a complete waste of air-time but they garner a lot of viewers. Yes, it's cynical, but North Americans are passive sponge-zombies who pick up anything lying around, be it coal or gold. If MTV decides today that D&D is cool, every 13 year-old american princess cheerleader would be at their neighborhood hobby shop.

If I assume that that D&D isn't garbage, which most of you agree with, the mainstreaming of the hobby can't be a bad thing. Of course, mainstreaming means that other money hungry bastards will try to make money off it like they do with everything. And no one would possibly want this. There's also the pride of being marginal, being part of the elite group that most can't join. This is the impression I get from the guys who are anti-Vin-playing-Dungeons-&-Dungeons-and-having-a-secret-project. Ok, learning that Vin Diesel played D&D was as surprising as learning that Santa didn't exist when you're 5. He's the last person on earth I'd imagine playing this dorky game. But going so far as to say that he would pander us really shows at what point you have self-image issues. Saying that, since Vin Diesel fans are all "jock-idiots", he must not be a true D&Der and must be attempting to pander us is ludicrous. As I've said, it's not because one enjoys movies that have dialogue written by and for toddlers, that one is not worthy to play D&D. Movies are made to be appeal to most people, even Aristotle has a theory or a set rules on how to make a perfect play. I've read a book by Umberto Eco, I don't quite recall the title, but he mentions the classical american film, such Casablanca and Gone with the Wind or even T2, follow a certain recipie. I don't know the exact recipie but there usually is 2 "stories", the main one and a love story. For example, in Casablanca, we've got WWII (main story) and the thing between Rick and Elsa. Another characteristic is that they always make you feel good, no matter how sad or tragic the end is. Very few films leave the audience perplexed and freaked out. Usually, when you walk out of the theater after seeing a wierd movie, the first thing you ask yourself is "WTF?!" I know I'm blabbing off topic right now so I'll swerve back to the my point.

The point is...I forgot what it was...ah crap. That's what happens when I write posts without really thinking about what I want to say. Anways, If Vin Diesel, big bad action hero, plays D&D, and just happened to be buying 800$ worth of D&D just before an interview with GQ doesn't mean he's doing to appeal to the small population of geeks who read GQ. Or something along those lines. Arggghh, screw it. Most won't even read the whole post. I'm sure you'll be sick of my post after the second paragraph.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Wolfen Priest said:

2.) If he is making a Conan sequel (which I for one will be excited about), then why would he need to specifically "pander" to D&D gamers?

Slight OT perhaps, but the name of the Conan movie is "Conan: The Crown of Iron" and I had heard something about Vin being in it, not sure though.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Wolfen Priest said:
I've said before, and I'll reiterate that I don't think young people taking up PnP RPG's fit the dorky stereotype they once did. In fact, the biggest dork I ever knew said he thought D&D was "nerdy." Most "cool" people don't look at it that way anymore, IMHO.

I think that D&D is still "dorky". Not as much as it once was, but playing sports or drinking or doing drugs is still "cooler". It's like playing a computer game. Still dorky, just less than before.

This reminds me of a scene in "Friends" that went something like this:
Joey: Why do you guys call him Gandalf, anway?
Chandler: Because he's a "Party Wizard".
Joey: What?
Ross: You know. "Gandalf the Wizard".
Joey: What?
Ross: Didn't you read Lord of the Rings in high school?
Joey: No. I had sex in high school.

Anyways, I don't think that just because one movie star plays D&D isn't going to make much of a difference. People will probably think, "That's odd, a movie star playing a dork's game."

Kamikaze Midget said:

Heck, I'd support Arnold coming out and saying "Ah've read Chawsuh!" or "Ah love fracol geomuhtrey!"

Too funny. !

MAYBE Senior Diesel's secret project is a d20 product,
and this research is directly relevant.

MAYBE he's not waiting to see if he is on WoTC's short list of Campaign entrants.

MAYBE it's a d20 Modern supplement to rival AEG?

MAYBE he's REALLY a huge fan, and plans to license images and themes from his movies !

MAYBE I'll see one of his movies...

But probably not.

Re: Mainstreaming

muhcashin said:
Or something along those lines. Arggghh, screw it. Most won't even read the whole post. I'm sure you'll be sick of my post after the second paragraph.

Heh. You are almost as funny as Wolfen Priest. Well said - Well said. - Except : Maxim magazine rocks!

Remove ads