Vin Diesel plays D&D

Henry

Autoexreginated
You want a REALLY weird conspiracy theory?

This builds on what BigFreekinGoblinoid said.

This issue just came out, correct? Suppose that the interview were conducted, oh, say around early June or so? And just suppose good old Mr. Vincent thought it would be a kick to enter WotC's submission contest? :)

More likely, he was showing off for the interviewer, or he's been on a movie shoot for a couple of months.

Droogie

Explorer
Re: Mainstreaming

muhcashin said:

The point is...I forgot what it was...ah crap. That's what happens when I write posts without really thinking about what I want to say. Anways, If Vin Diesel, big bad action hero, plays D&D, and just happened to be buying 800$ worth of D&D just before an interview with GQ doesn't mean he's doing to appeal to the small population of geeks who read GQ. Or something along those lines. Arggghh, screw it. Most won't even read the whole post. I'm sure you'll be sick of my post after the second paragraph.

I read every word, dude. Good post! Made me LMAO. ;)

Corinth

First Post
The likely reason is that Vin's career kept him busy doing movie shoots and related activities--promotional junkets, etc.--for most of the last two years and only now does he has the combination of time and pocket change needed to catch up on the state of the hobby's 800 pound gorilla.

Shade Murphy

First Post
Yeah I can just see him getting caught up with 3E.

"Oh coool. They brought back the monk and barbarian. This is going to be awsome. What the heck?! Rangers got shafted!!?!?!?"-

Saracen

First Post
Alright, first of all, the article in GQ was probably written 3-4 months ago. Most magazines have a 3-4 month lead time between when articles are submitted and when they actually appear in the magazine.

Second, in another thread, either on rpg.net or on here somewhere, someone mentions an article where Vin talks about DnD. He states that he used to play years ago when he was a bouncer in a NYC club. This was back in like 92-93 when he was bouncing. In the article he laments the fact that he didn't have the time to playt any more.

To explain the $800 spending spree, flash forward to when the interview for GQ was conducted. Vin decides he's going to make some time to play again, after years of not playing. He goes to the WotC store and because he hasn't played in years he sees that DnD 3E is available. He buys the three core books, plus all the splat books (Sword and Fist, etc.), All the other non-core hardcovers and maybe even all the available FR setting books for 3E. Just for these alone you're talking about spending close to $400 or more. Then, because he just made $10,000,000 dollars for xXx he buys all the people he's planning on gaming with, including his DM\writer friend each a set of core books. There's your $800 bucks.

Is this plausible? I think it is. I stopped playing DnD in 1988 I entered high school. I just started playing again last month. I went out and bought the three core rules books.

Also, the idea of him pandering to gamers is laughable. We are too small a group to pander to. In fact, admitting to playing DnD would be more likely to hurt his image, not improve it. Basically, he's admitted to being a bit of a geek. Something that would be more likely to hurt his tough-guy image with the Fast and the Furious Fanboys.

Remove ads