Volcano Pig

Cleon

Legend
Ok. Good points. Been playing and players getting high damage

Out of curiosity, how often are they rolling 20+ damage and is it mainly with special attacks or criticals?

Also, what level PCs are they running?

Not uncommonly. So I think 20 only delays death by 1 hit anyway.

Yup, it only delays the pig's death by an action tops, so it's usually no big deal.

So shall I update the working draft Volcano Pig with a 20 damage threshold on Relentless?

Cleon

Legend
Re Hot inside. What you suggest....make it 10? 12?

Well do you want a possibility of Hot Inside splatter damage whenever it is hit?

If I were to pick a number, I'd make it something rollable with an average weapon so, for example, if it gets stabbed with a dagger or shortsword there's a chance of it spurting.

A critical dagger hit does 2d4 so I'd say somewhere in that range. Maybe 5 or 6? Possibly 8?

I'm also thinking that if the superheated air and flame from its wounded hide is its "magma blood" then if it continuously starts doing fire damage to its surroundings once it's reduced to 30 hp or less doesn't that mean it's bleeding out?

Perhaps instead it becomes more likely to spray magma once it's wounded. In that case does it even need a threshold?

Say, at 31+ hit points it only spurts flame when it takes X or more points of piercing or slashing damage, while if its at 30 or fewer hit points its spurts flame whenever it takes any damage (except cold damage?) so once its crust is weak enough is splats magma when struck by bludgeoning or lightning as well as cutting and stabbing weapons.

Also, should there be a change the fiery splatter sets its target(s) on fire or maybe have a save be for half fire damage instead of avoiding the damage entirely?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, how often are they rolling 20+ damage and is it mainly with special attacks or criticals?

Also, what level PCs are they running?

Yup, it only delays the pig's death by an action tops, so it's usually no big deal.

So shall I update the working draft Volcano Pig with a 20 damage threshold on Relentless?
3 different campaigns. Rogues with sneak attacks scoring big damage mainly. Yeah 20 for this..

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Well do you want a possibility of Hot Inside splatter damage whenever it is hit?

If I were to pick a number, I'd make it something rollable with an average weapon so, for example, if it gets stabbed with a dagger or shortsword there's a chance of it spurting.

A critical dagger hit does 2d4 so I'd say somewhere in that range. Maybe 5 or 6? Possibly 8?

I'm also thinking that if the superheated air and flame from its wounded hide is its "magma blood" then if it continuously starts doing fire damage to its surroundings once it's reduced to 30 hp or less doesn't that mean it's bleeding out?

Perhaps instead it becomes more likely to spray magma once it's wounded. In that case does it even need a threshold?

Say, at 31+ hit points it only spurts flame when it takes X or more points of piercing or slashing damage, while if its at 30 or fewer hit points its spurts flame whenever it takes any damage (except cold damage?) so once its crust is weak enough is splats magma when struck by bludgeoning or lightning as well as cutting and stabbing weapons.

Also, should there be a change the fiery splatter sets its target(s) on fire or maybe have a save be for half fire damage instead of avoiding the damage entirely?
I want it to happen reasonably often but not every strike. So 8 sounds good.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer

Save for half then. Igniting as well maybe a bit extreme

Cleon

Legend

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Interesting points. My initial thinking behind the damage/round once 30hp or less reached was that the pig had lost enough of its rocky outer crust that the innate heat was just radiating through. I was thinking of some sort of bloodied mechanic a la 4e. However another way I guess is to nix that and rejig as "Once volcano pig is wounded to 30hp or less, then ANY attack that does damage will result in the gout of superheated air and flame from its wounded hide to all within 5 feet, who must make a DC 14 DX check to avoid 1d6 fire damage. My thinking was that this was mainly indirect heat and so less likely to ignite, but then again can assume it is pig magma/blood spatter alternately. In two minds, wondering whether there are too many igniting possibilities and maybe just a save or half damage better.

Cleon

Legend
Interesting points. My initial thinking behind the damage/round once 30hp or less reached was that the pig had lost enough of its rocky outer crust that the innate heat was just radiating through. I was thinking of some sort of bloodied mechanic a la 4e. However another way I guess is to nix that and rejig as "Once volcano pig is wounded to 30hp or less, then ANY attack that does damage will result in the gout of superheated air and flame from its wounded hide to all within 5 feet, who must make a DC 14 DX check to avoid 1d6 fire damage. My thinking was that this was mainly indirect heat and so less likely to ignite, but then again can assume it is pig magma/blood spatter alternately. In two minds, wondering whether there are too many igniting possibilities and maybe just a save or half damage better.

Well you don't have to have the ignition if you don't want to. If the damage is down to 1d6 fire maybe it simply isn't hot enough to ignite a typical creature on casual contact?

So the current draft has:

Hot Inside #1. Volcano pigs radiate heat, though this is not intense enough to cause damage unless its crusty skin is broken; any hit from a piercing or slashing weapon that does more than 15 damage results in a gout of superheated air and flame from its wounded hide to all within 5 feet, who must make a DC 12 DX check to avoid 1d6 fire damage. Furthermore, once the pig is reduced to 30 hp or less, parts of its hide begin flaking off all over. At the beginning of each subsequent turn, those within 5 feet, who must make a DC 14 DX check to avoid 1d12 fire damage.​

I think it'd be easier to just use 1d6 fire (with a DEX save for half) for the "heat burst" at both stages. The wording could be tightened up a bit too. You want to nix the ignition idea, which'll make it a bit simpler too.

Let's see…

Hot Inside #2. Volcano pigs radiate heat, but not intensely enough to cause damage unless their rocky skin is broken. If the pig takes 8 or more piercing or slashing damage from an attack a gout of superheated air and flame bursts from the wound. All targets within 5 feet must make a DC 14 DEX check, taking 3 (1d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Once the pig is reduced to 30 hp or less, its cracked hide produces a gout of heat if it takes any damage except cold damage from an attack.​

I'm inclined to remove the DEX save. A fire elemental's Fire Form ability is presumably based on similar radiant heat and it doesn't allow a save-for-half. It would also also speed play by not having to make all those saving throws!:

Hot Inside #3. Volcano pigs radiate heat, but not intensely enough to cause damage unless their rocky skin is broken. If the pig takes 8 or more piercing or slashing damage from an attack a gout of superheated air and flame bursts from the wound, causing 1d6 fire damage to all targets within 5 feet. Once the pig is reduced to 30 hp or less, its cracked hide produces a gout of heat if it takes any damage except cold damage from an attack.​

I'm also thinking, if a Volcano Pig is frozen or immersed in water, wouldn't its heat gouts be rendered ineffective?

Hot Inside #4. Volcano pigs radiate heat, but not intensely enough to cause damage unless their rocky skin is broken. If the pig takes 8 or more piercing or slashing damage from an attack a gout of superheated air and flame bursts from the wound, causing 1d6 fire damage to all targets within 5 feet. However, if a volcano pig takes 5 or more points of cold damage over one round this chills its crusty exterior, cooling its heat gouts enough they cause no damage that round. Once the pig is reduced to 30 hp or less, its cracked hide produces a gout of heat if it takes any amount of damage from an attack that does not include cold damage.​

Do you like any of those?

Remove ads