D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters: General Discussion.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Oh I see what you mean.

A cow and an Ox are raised differently (an Ox being more of a Beast of burdern than Dairy cows and meat cattle), while the Stench Kow is a classic D&D monster. The Rothe appears to be the Forgotten Realms Equivalent to a "giant" cow.

Gender is the only difference between a cow and an ox. Rothe are actually (as they appeared in the Fiend Folio) more like pygmy musk ox than cattle... but still, if they were going to go with bovine overload, why not give us some minotaur variants instead?

GarrettKP

Explorer
Fallen Aasimar.jpgVolos Disclaimer.jpg

GarrettKP

Explorer
Aasimar has 3 Subraces: The Protector (+1 Wis, Can grow Wings, Deals extra Radiant Damage), The Scourge (+1 Con), and The Fallen (+1 Str, Can cause a fear Aura and deals extra Necrotic damage).

Otherwise has the same stats as the Aasimar in the DMG but removes the +1 wisdom and innate spellcasting. (replaced by the Subraces)

gyor

Legend
Aasimar has 3 Subraces: The Protector (+1 Wis, Can grow Wings, Deals extra Radiant Damage), The Scourge (+1 Con), and The Fallen (+1 Str, Can cause a fear Aura and deals extra Necrotic damage).

Otherwise has the same stats as the Aasimar in the DMG but removes the +1 wisdom and innate spellcasting. (replaced by the Subraces)

I think it still has the Light Cantrip.

So its Darkvision, Celestial Language, Necro/Radiant Resistance, Light Cantrip, and the subraces Protector/Scourage/Fallen.

Protector/Scourage also get dreams from Angellic Guides, Fallen doesn't.

It seems pretty obvious what the themes are for the subraces. Scourage are driven to kill evil (oath of vengence feel), Protectors seem to be the more Traditional Aasimar, and Fallen are darker verison of Aasimar, perhaps descended from Aasimar who well fell and evil Celestials like the 25% of Empyreans that are evil.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Noted. I'm just going by what I remember from the Reddit thread before it was closed!

Me too.

Tabaxi can move at double speed during they're turn, but need to stand still to use that ability again.

They get +2 dex and +1 Charisma.

Bugbears get +5 reach and a quasi sneak attack ability.

Lizardfolk get +2 con and +1 Wisdom, can hold their breath for 15 minutes, have a swim speed, and a unarmed bite where they can
gain temp hp if they eat what they bit, 1st per short/long rest.

Kenku get mimic cry

Tritons get +1 strength, +1 Charisma, +1 Con, get wall of water, a couple of other spells, can talk to fish, and can survive at deep water pressures. Congrats you Aquaman!!!

Purebloods get +2 Charisma and +1 Intelligence

Goblins get nimble step, darkvision, and an ability to deal level damage to beings taller them them. Its like multiclassing as a rogue.

Orcs get -2 intelligence, did not like this, but I think the Orc gets a bunch of stuff to help make up for it, but its officially the worst race for wizards.

Everything sounds incredibly flavourful in abilities and fluff.

Last edited:

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Me too.

Tabaxi can move at double speed during they're turn, but need to stand still to use that ability again.

They get +2 dex and +1 Charisma.

Bugbears get +5 reach and a quasi sneak attack ability.

Lizardfolk get +2 con and +1 Wisdom, can hold their breath for 15 minutes, have a swim speed, and a unarmed bite where they can
gain temp hp if they eat what they bit, 1st per short/long rest.

Kenku get mimic cry

Tritons get +1 strength, +1 Charisma, +1 Con, get wall of water, a couple of other spells, can talk to fish, and can survive at deep water pressures.

Purebloods get +2 Charisma and +1 Intelligence

Goblins get nimble step, darkvision, and an ability to deal level damage to beings taller them them. Its like multiclassing as a rogue.

Orcs get -2 intelligence, did not like this, but I think the Orc gets a bunch of stuff to help make up for it, but its officially the worst race for wizards.

Everything sounds incredibly flavourful in abilities and fluff.

When they say eat what they bit,does that mean the creature has to be dead or they just bite off a chunk and eat it right there? Hmmm. Even more excited now! I think biting off a chunk of an enemy and then doing some additional intimidation will make for an interesting Lizardman fighter or barbarian.

Remove ads