Volo's Guide to Monsters -- three best PC races for character optimization?

What are the three best PC races in Volo's Guide to Monsters for character optimization? for

• Aasimar

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Firbolgs

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Goliaths

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Kenku

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Lizardfolk

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Tabaxi

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Tritons

• Bugbear

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Goblin

• Hobgoblin

• Kobold

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Orc

• Yuan-ti Pureblood

Votes: 15 51.7%

Harrumphreys

First Post
Pureblood
Aasimsar

Both are incredible races, that truly enhance the classes that they are naturally drawn towards. If you bundled up their racial powers (e.g Radiant Soul, Healing Hands / Magic Resistance, Poison Immunity, etc) and offered the bundle as a Feat, I would say that a lot of characters would snap them up.

The third was tricky. Either Hobgoblin or Bugbear. Both creatures offer strong optimisation options for a few build; Hobgoblins allow for armour and weapons on classes that lack innate proficiencies (Wizard), and Bugbear is great for a Polearm user that can also be stealthy (Ranger).

I went for Bugbear. If you're building an Optimised Polearm user, it's hard to ignore the enhanced reach. If you're going for an Optimised Wizard, there are plenty of other good options.

RulesJD

First Post
Agreed on Aasimar, however, the best one for Optimization is....

Kobold.

I didn't think so at first, but after taking a Kobold Bard up to level 11 so far, sweet jesus is Pack Tactics and Grovel overpowered. The -2 Strength is largely irrelevant thanks to Finesse weapons and Medium Armor.

Honestly, even in a relatively open world campaign like Storm Kings Thunder, the sunlight sensitivity rarely came up. DMs simply don't have the brainpower to factor that in, so most never cared, which means woohoo Advantage almost 24/7 in game play. I could drop upcast Inflict Wounds like it was going out of style with little worry about wasting a spell slot.

The Grovel is also amazingly OP for boss fights. Providing Advantage for ALL targets while NOT granting Advantage against yourself is pretty impressive, especially once you pickup Bonus Action attack abilities like Animate Objects and Bigby's Hand. With Grovel + those spells, I can solo bosses pretty easily.

Lastly, the -2 Strength is very easily compensated for because Strength has the most "set value" magic items. One Gauntlet of Ogre Power later and that significant detriment to the class goes away.

OH, and it's small sized (so moving through Large enemies) BUT doesn't have 25 movement speed reduction.

All in all, unless you have a DM who is hyper focused on Sunlight Sensitivity, the Kobold allows for stupidly good optimization.

So we have the Aasimar as the top choice, the Yuan-ti Pureblood in a strong second place and the Bugbear in third. I am not surprised by the results. The Aasimar comes with three separate subraces with somewhat different traits, making it by far the most flexible Volo's PC race for optimization. The base abilities common to all Aasimar are solid as well.

The other two races are more narrowly focused but incredible in those areas. With +2 Cha, +1 Int, darkvision, innate magic abilities, magic resistance and poison immunity, the Yuan-ti Pureblood is incredible for any Charisma-based caster and a solid wizard as well. The bugbear is the best melee warrior PC race in the book and has more stealth capabilities than many opponents would expect.

I am honestly shocked that Goblin is losing out to Aasimar. Goblin is the most overpowered race in all of Volo's, unless you allow kobolds to overcome sunlight sensitivity by wildshaping, in which case kobolds just barely edge them out.

Very interesting poll results.

Hobgoblins allow for armour and weapons on classes that lack innate proficiencies (Wizard), and Bugbear is great for a Polearm user that can also be stealthy (Ranger).

AFB but I'm pretty sure Hobgoblins only get weapon proficiencies, not armor proficiencies. I remember being very surprised about that.

Last edited:

RulesJD

First Post
I feel like people are purposefully overlooking Kobolds. It's not even a competition for powergaming builds.

Kobol Hunter Ranger (Horde Breaker)3/War Cleric 2/BM Fighter+

Takes a bit to come online, but Sharpshooter/X-bow Exp = almost always on Advantage destruction. It's the functional equivalent of Reckless Attack for all attacks, but without the need to generate Advantage against yourself.

Remove ads