• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters - Which monsters do you want to see?

Since we have a thread covering the new player racial options in VGtM, I thought I would start one concerning the other important part of the upcoming book: which monsters should be updated to the new edition? Before the book was announced, I posted my "100 monsters I would like to see in a MM2" (and since that was before June, I assume the post still exists around here somewhere), but I'll limit myself to just a few creatures (or creature types) I most want to see in the book.

Neutral or evil fey. Let's see the jermlaine, kelpie, nymph, quickling, sirine, spriggan, and so on. Fey, especially hostile types, are woefully underrepresented in the MM. Heck, even some more good fey like brownies and leprechauns would be nice to see.

Celestials. We know the ki-rin is going to be in the book, but how about other celestials, which, like the fey, are underrepresented in the MM? Of course, I would like to see most or all of the archons, gaurdinals, and eladrin updated, but even a good assortment would be nice. Or maybe pick one type and fully update it (as archons have the longest lineage, all the way back to 1e, they would be the likely choice here).

Beholders and beholder-kin. We got a few types in the MM, but there are a plethora still left to update. We know that we'll see the death kiss, but how about the gauth, eye of the deep, and elder orb?

Dinosaurs! The MM selection was surprisingly small. No hulking, stereotypical sauropods? No stegosaurs? No small predators like velociraptor or deinonychus? All these, and others, should be updated.

More Skeletons and Zombies. It would be great to have templates for either or both, but lacking that, at least we should see a wider variety available to throw at our players!

Gibberlings. Because they are nasty foes for low-level characters.

Cryohydras and Pyrohydras. Normal hydras are bad enough already, let's make them worse! :D

delericho

Legend
Spellweavers and chitine. They're personal favourites. Though I appreciate the odds are against either appearing!

I'm mostly just hoping for a decent selection, ideally heavily skewed towards WotC-IP monsters (so not things like dinosaurs that anyone could do a version of).

Spellweavers and chitine. They're personal favourites. Though I appreciate the odds are against either appearing!

I'm mostly just hoping for a decent selection, ideally heavily skewed towards WotC-IP monsters (so not things like dinosaurs that anyone could do a version of).

Honestly, other than dinosaurs (and maybe some of the traditional fey), I can't think of much that wouldn't be WotC IP...

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
High-level goons. Building encounters after level 10 or so becomes increasingly difficult, because almost every high-level monster is big and solitary.

More fey would be nice, but I feel like the excellent Tome of Beasts filled that niche already. It has tons of fey -- so many that I'm now writing a large Feywild section into my next campaign.

gyor

Legend
Nymphs, Bodaks, Oreads, Yaun Ti Athamas, Archsuccubi, Eyestalks, celestial Archons and Elderin, 4e Angels, Phoenix.

pkt77242

Explorer
I want more devils and demons, more fey, and more undead. I really want more human variants as well (I would love to run an all human campaign, so more variations in the guards, soldiers, rogues, hunters, wizards, etc would be great).

ETA: I want to see "Wizards" and "Clerics" at multiple levels, maybe a few "warlocks" and "druids" thrown in, and some "barbarians" and warriors of multiple levels. It would be cool to see some more swashbuckling warrior types as well.

Slit518

Adventurer
Gibberlings, Nymphs, and any other classic monster they may have missed from past editions!

Also, perhaps some influences from other mediums, such as Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc... But of course, with a Wizards of the Coast, D&D style.

Nymphs, Bodaks, Oreads, Yaun Ti Athamas, Archsuccubi, Eyestalks, celestial Archons and Elderin, 4e Angels, Phoenix.

The 4e angel bit got me thinking that since part of the notion of angels in 4e was that the difference between angels and other celestials (particularly archons) was small to begin with and had shrunk over time (seriously by 3e was there an archon that didn't look like an angel or a generic humanoid except for the hound and lantern archons?), perhaps 4e angels as archons as a way to differentiate the two types of celestials. Also, since most archons weren't "messengers" (except for the odd trumpet archon) having no mouths, which Mike Mearls was put off by, isn't a problem. Archons: less talk, more action, and the action is LG.

I'd like most of the stuff in the OP (though I don't care so much about the skeleton and zombie variants).

I'd love to see more eastern-themed monsters, such as lung dragons, and we definitely need more fey.

For me, it's all about iconic IP. If there are no newly created monster in there whatsoever, I'll be happy. I'd like them to focus on a lot of the stuff that was addressed in the articles and surveys from James Wyatt back during the 5e development stage. I'm guessing there are a whole lot of monsters that were fairly well developed but couldn't fit into the MM. (In fact, I believe it was Chris Perkins who said there was enough on the the chopping block floor to serve as a good foundation for MM2). I want them all in this book, because they were mostly iconic D&D monsters.

The reason for this is that many people (including myself) have campaign settings or ongoing campaigns that got converted to 5e. Now we don't have stats for long-standing D&D monsters that are walking around our worlds. That kind of sucks, and I hope it will be fixed with this book.

Remove ads