• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters - Which monsters do you want to see?

So, one reasonn I could see a pure Dragon book, is that the Draconmicon was, as I understand ot, one of the bestselling books in the edition: sold like hotcakes, and the topic is big enough for the space: a cursory look at 10 Dragons the MM took up 10% of that book!

So, in VGtM, each of the 9 deep dive monsters get about 11 pages of material: I cursorily count 27 types of Drafons (11 Metallic, 10 Chromatic and six Gem), which at that rate would take up a wmbook the size of the 3E Draconomicon just with flavor and lairs! Because what I would like to see, is each type of Dragon getting extensive tables to ccreate an individual of that type (no confusing Bronze and Brass Sragons,!), with lairs for in game use. Maybe not all 27, like just 15-20 would probably be nice. Rules for playing Dragons, tables for Dragon hoards including special magic items, new spells for Dragon Magic...not to mention just stat blocks. I could see such a book being on one hand, very focused on Dragons, but also full of goddies: and it would probably make bank, and possibly even sell beyond the normal market for such a book because people love themselves some Dragons.

So, to dredge this back up again, now that I have the book.

First of all, given what's said in the introduction to Chapter 1, it seems pretty obvious they like this format and plan on continuing it, as long as VGtM does well presumably (and considering that my FLGS had 20 when today started and only had 3 left when I got there at 8 PM would seem to bode well), so the presumption that there may be future Volo's Guides (or something similar) seems pretty well-founded now.

Secondly, what is said in that introduction seems significant:

"You might be wondering why certain monsters were chosen above others. Where are the dragons and githyanki? What, no fiends or undead? We hope to tackle other monsters over time."

That seems to me to be obvious hinting on what they plan to do next (with githyanki as a representative of what would be in a psionics book). Perhaps in that order? Perhaps the first two covered in one book and the second two in another (a fiends and undead book would come together pretty well thematically)? I guess we'll see, but two books or four, that would be a pretty stellar line-up...

gyor

Legend
I could see them going something simular in format with the Manuel of the Planes. Maybe have it "voice" by Nezram the World Walker.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, to dredge this back up again, now that I have the book.

First of all, given what's said in the introduction to Chapter 1, it seems pretty obvious they like this format and plan on continuing it, as long as VGtM does well presumably (and considering that my FLGS had 20 when today started and only had 3 left when I got there at 8 PM would seem to bode well), so the presumption that there may be future Volo's Guides (or something similar) seems pretty well-founded now.

Secondly, what is said in that introduction seems significant:

"You might be wondering why certain monsters were chosen above others. Where are the dragons and githyanki? What, no fiends or undead? We hope to tackle other monsters over time."

That seems to me to be obvious hinting on what they plan to do next (with githyanki as a representative of what would be in a psionics book). Perhaps in that order? Perhaps the first two covered in one book and the second two in another (a fiends and undead book would come together pretty well thematically)? I guess we'll see, but two books or four, that would be a pretty stellar line-up...

Interesting, for sure!

Remove ads