• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's Other Book(s) / Future Spoilers?

Given how much WotC is tapping past classic adventures for current storylines, they'd be stupid not to draw from the Tomb of Horrors. Whether or not it's the "Labyrinth" product remains to be seen.

If there is a book about the planes, I certainly hope it isn't narrated by Volo. Having it narrated by a cynical Aasimar Planewalker named Tarsheva Longreach, with additional entries by a Blue Slaadi scientist named Xanxost would be what I'd ideally want.

TheBlueKnight

Explorer
What did it say about the Forgotten Realms Cosmology, we have heard only alittle bit about it?

Honestly it doesn't say much... There is nothing about it in the Dungeonology book but the Volo's Guide to the Forgotten Realms has a little (and I mean little) bit. A diagram and 2 paragraphs:

Forgotten Realms Cosmology.jpg

Mercurius

Legend
Dungeonology looks like a "gateway product" for potential D&D players. I wonder how, or if, WotC is marketing it. It seems like a bit of an oddity, albeit a nice one.

gyor

Legend
Dungeonology looks like a "gateway product" for potential D&D players. I wonder how, or if, WotC is marketing it. It seems like a bit of an oddity, albeit a nice one.

Thanks, so that shows that the cosmology is the same one they're used for the PHB and DMG, Great Wheel+.

I wasn't sure, FR was just using a varietion of the World Axis Cosmology before the Sundering, and the Great World Tree before the Spellplague, and The Great Wheel with a couple of special demiplanes before the Time of Troubles. Now its moved on to the Great Wheel Plus, which is the Great Wheel combined with elements from the World Axis Cosmology and a couple of new twists (The Great Wheel stolen the Great Axis' best stuff, and added a few unique twists like the Elemental Border Region vs Deep Elemental vs. The Elemental Chaos, and the Energy Planes no longer being Inner Planes, but somewhere beyond the Outer Planes at the furthest reaches of the multiverse.

So thank you.

This looks fun, and definitely something to impulse buy whenever I'm in Waterstones. The idea of a 'Greyhawk Dungeons Greatest Hits' adventure seems intriguing; could people (who know more about Greyhawk than I do!) suggest a likely structure for such an adventure? I'm guessing something like STK...

20pages - Introduction
60pages - Greyhawk Gazeteer (inc. 10 pages on the City Thereof?)
40pages - Tomb of Horrors
40pages - Barrier Peaks
40pages - Castle Greyhawk dungeons
15pages - new monsters, a subclass or two for Greyhawkian stuff

Does that seem viable? I mean, we can reasonably assume that they'd extensively overhaul any 1e dungeon - Castle Ravenloft got a free pass, but Tomb of Horrors isn't really viable these days I would imagine.

Though saying that, Chris Perkins did update Tomb of Horrors in Dungeon 213, and when asked on Twitter he refers to that, so we might expect that to not be part of any future module.

gyor

Legend
I think its a safe bet that Tomb of Horrors might be next, there is no other reason to relocate it to the Forgotten Realms.

I hope I'm wrong, because from everything I've heard about the tomb of horrors, its sounds boring as heck, trap, after annoying trap, after annoying trap, all over powered, no real plot, no interesting characters, I can think of a campaign that sounds less appealing honestly, and ITS A LOCATION THAT BELONGS IN GREYHAWK, although its good to know Toril traded comingling with Abier during the Sundering, for comingling with Greyhawk. Who knows maybe AO screw up abit during the Sundering and parts of Greyhawk got sucked into the realms, confusing both worlds.

I know next spellplague parts of Toril can switch places with parts of Greyhawk. Suzail, the capital of Cormyr can trade places with the City of Greyhawk!

And parts of Athas can trade places with parts of Abier!

Okay I kid. I hope.

On a more serious note they are literally ripping dungeons from other worlds to dump in FR, that is how unoriginal they're getting. Sigh.

I will say the thinning between FR and Greyhawk could have interesting reprocussions, but they'd actually have really explore that. Are other parts of Greyhawk shifted to FR?

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I mentioned this in another thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year we saw a PHB2 in the format and presentation of Volo's Guide to Monsters. Something like Volo's Guide to Exotic Adventurers. Additional classes/subclasses and races Volo has experienced from his travels.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It always steams my buns a bit when they do the whole "boundaries between worlds are breaking down!" comic book schlock.

Like, okay, Tomb of Horrors is a classic, and yeah, you want to update it, so keep it in Greyhawk, you donks!

If you have to stay in FR for some arbitrary branding reason, you should double down on what makes FR exceptional and unique, like no other fantasy property. Cribbing stuff from Greyhawk doesn't do that!

Tossing chunks of GH into FR is lame. It feels inauthentic. Stop trying to turn yourself into something for everyone FR, just be yourself and let GH be itself, it's fine to not have everyone love you.

Remove ads