Vorpal vs. Death Ward

xrbbb3n

First Post
Hello,

How would you rule this? Would a Critical Hit from a Vorpal Sythe decapitate a character that had "Death Ward" cast upon them? I would have survived the (huge amount of) damage.

Thx.

pontus

First Post
Vorpal may have "death spell" as a prerequisite but it is not in itself a death effect. Death Ward is useless against it.

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
That's a tough one...

I'm not sure that the Vorpal quality would qualify as a death effect. It certainly would kill a human, but not, say an Ettin or a Hydra or even an ooze. A death effect would work on all of these creatures.

Destil

Explorer
Arcturus_Rugend said:
That's a tough one...

I'm not sure that the Vorpal quality would qualify as a death effect. It certainly would kill a human, but not, say an Ettin or a Hydra or even an ooze. A death effect would work on all of these creatures.
I'd have to agree with this logic. Fortification armor should work, but not death ward.

Datt

First Post
Okay, this is how I think things that would stop a vorpal weapon.

Would it stop a guillotine from killing me? If not, then I would have to say it wouldn't work against a vorpal sword either.

Sejs

First Post
*walks onto stage*

*kneels down, pulls out lighter, lights fuse*

*stands back as towering WHAT THEY SAID! pyrotechnic display lights up*

*nods*

*walks off stage*

Cyraneth

First Post
IMC, we've changed (read: houseruled) the vorpal effect to only affect creatures up to one size larger than the weapon bearing the enchantment. Thus, you won't have those odd scenes where the party's rogue/fighter cuts off the dragon's head with a handaxe or something similar... I know it's magic, but still...

Anyway, to get back to the question at hand: Since vorpal isn't a death effect, death ward doesn't protect against it. In other words, what they said... :D

- Cyraneth

Last edited:

Parallaxus

First Post
vorpalization stands alone

That's a tough one...

It is not a tough one. Vorpalization rules are quite clear, deathward and immunity to crits do NOT protect from vorpalization, period.

Greenfield

Adventurer
As a note, the Vorpal blade doesn't require a Critical Hit to function.

While the description is a bit ambiguous, the fact that it can work against constructs and undead should make that clear.

The pertinent text of the weapon's description is as follows:
SRD said:
Vorpal: This potent and feared ability allows the weapon to sever the heads of those it strikes. Upon a roll of natural 20 (followed by a successful roll to confirm the critical hit), the weapon severs the opponent’s head (if it has one) from its body.
Some creatures, such as many aberrations and all oozes, have no heads. Others, such as golems and undead creatures other than vampires, are not affected by the loss of their heads. Most other creatures, however, die when their heads are cut off. A vorpal weapon must be a slashing weapon. (If you roll this property randomly for an inappropriate weapon, reroll.)
Strong necromancy and transmutation; CL 18th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, circle of death, keen edge; Price +5 bonus.
In 3.0 it called for a Critical. In 3.5 they changed that to require a natural 20, regardless of the weapon's normal Critical range.

While you need to back it up like a critical hit, it can and will affect creatures that are normally immune to Critical hits.

We normally rule that, while chopping of the head of a Zombie or a Golem won't kill them, it will leave them functionally blind and/or deaf, as they no longer have eyes or ears.

Remove ads