• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vortigaunts from Half-Life, PC Race

KrakenKaos

First Post
I present Vortigaunts from the Half-Life series. :D

EDIT: For those that haven't even played Half-Life, just take a look at the class and PEACH it please. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vortigaunt.png

Vortigaunt
Medium Aberrant Humanoid

Racial Traits
Flux Shifting: Due to the strange anatomy a Vortigaunt possesses it is able to communicate to other Vortigaunts within a distance of 100 squares without any other species able to understand it. However, this method of communication is extremely loud and not exactly subtle.
Vortessence Link: Due to their inherant link to the Vortessence, Vortigaunts receive a +1 bonus to their Will defense. Additionally, Vortigaunts receive a bonus to their healing surge value equal to one-half their wisdom modifier.
Prehensile Hand: Vortigaunts possess a third prehensile hand that is attached to their thorax. This hand, however, cannot be used in a combat situation but may be used to hold an object such as a potion or a torch.

Average Height: 5'6"-6'2"
Average Weight: 120-160 lbs.
Vision: Normal

A Vortigaunt may use either the Vortessence Bolt or Vortessence Shockwave daily powers during their adventures.

Vortessence Bolt
Harnessing the power of the Vortessence, you unleash a destructive beam of green lightning..
Daily ✦ Arcane, Force, Lightning
Standard Action.
Target: Ranged 20; One Creature
Attack: Wis +2 vs. Reflex; 1d10+Intelligence modifier damage and the Vortigaunt heals an equal amount.
This damage increases to +4, 2d10 at 11th level and +6, 3d10 at 21st level.

Mending a Broken String
You move the Vortessence around us in a fashion you see fit to help an ally in need.
Daily ✦ Healing
Standard Action
Target: One ally within 20
Effect:The Vortigaunt expends a healing surge, and the target gains temporary HP equal to the Vortigaunts healing surge value.

Vortigaunts hail from a Demiplane on the border of the Far Realm named Xen. This plane consists of small chunks orbiting a larger celestial body where reality isn't quite the same as it is defined on the Oerth. Such as how gravity doesn't pull towards the asteroids but always "down" which sometimes leads newcomers to the Demiplane off into the Abyss below. These chunks of earth replicate different environments commonly seen on the Oerth such as deserts and jungles and form a complex ecosystem which consists of other stranger Aberrant creatures such as Barnacles, Bullsquids and Houndeyes.

Physical Qualities:
In appearance, a Vortigaunt is a somewhat humanoid figure with two legs and two arms, but has an additional arm protruding from its thorax. Vortigaunts possess digitigrade legs, allowing them to move quickly. In addition, Vortigaunts have mottled green-brown skin, sharp teeth and clawed hands. Vortigaunts have a slightly hunched posture, and their faces are dominated by a large red eye with three small eyes on top.

Male Names: Vortigaunts typically have names that do not follow any alphabet on the Oerth. So to avoid confusion, they typically adopt human names that others give them.

Female Names: Same as male.

Vortessence Bond
Tier: Heroic
Description: You may now share the benefits of the racial Vortessence Link to any ally within 5 squares of you.

Vortessence Shockwave
Tier: Heroic
Description: When you use your Vortessence Bolt racial power you may now use it as an area effect.

Vortessence Shockwave
Harnessing the power of the Vortessence, you unleashed a destructive blast of green energy around you.
Daily ✦ Arcane, Force, Lightning
Standard Action.
Target: Close burst 1; All enemies
Attack: Int +2 vs. Reflex; 1d6+Intelligence modifier damage and the target is knocked prone.
This damage increases to +4, 2d6 at 11th level, and +6, 3d6 at 21st level.

Vortessence Mastery
Tier:Paragon
Description: Upon choosing this feat, choose either your Vortessence Bolt or Mending a Broken String racial powers. You may now use it as an encounter power instead. You may choose this feat multiple times, each time choosing a different power.

One with the Vortessence
Tier: Paragon
Description: You may use an ally within 10 squares of you as line of sight for any attacks you make. However, this does not change line of effect.

Restoring a Broken String
Tier: Epic
Prerequisites: Vortessence Bond, One with the Vortessence, Mending a Broken String racial power
Description: You may now use Restoring a Broken String as a Daily Power.

Restoring a Broken String
Harnessing the energy that surrounds us all, you mend a creature's fate and allow them to become one with the Vortessence once again.
Daily ✦ Healing
Short rest plus 5 healing surges and (Special)
Target: One dead creature
Effect: Target is brought back to life as per the Raise Dead Ritual, expending ritual cost but decreased by one tier (Epic cost to Paragon, Paragon to Heroic, Heroic to none). However, the Vortigaunt receives the -1 penalty to rolls until 3 milestones are reached instead.

Tried my best on the fluff, and tried a little bit on the feats. Any help would be appreciated though. I just recently played through Half-Life 2 and Episodes 1 & 2 and found out again how much I loved Vortigaunts.

chronoplasm

First Post
I haven't played in a while, but I seem to remember the vortigaunts using their powers to repair and upgrade machinery. So... might want something like that in there.

KrakenKaos

First Post
Yeah, I was just wondering how I would translate that, if I should at all? Racial + to healing constructs that levels up as I do? Or perhaps a feat that does it?

Remove ads