D&D 4E Vote for your favorite 4E PHB cover!

Which PHB cover you prefer?

Zinovia

Explorer
I chose the dragon and the adventurers because it is the iconic image of D&D. I like the brighter contrast and the dynamic scene. The other pieces both look like covers for a fashion magazine rather than a scene from an adventure. The contrast is less vivid and the books don't stand out as much. I am sick of bared midriffs and decolletage on female adventurers. Let them dress sensibly at least on the cover? Please?

To me it doesn't matter that the dragon is prominent on the cover rather than just emphasizing the adventurers. It's D&D, and the primary book that most people will buy is the PHB. Make it clear from the cover what the game is about. Use something that evokes a true sense of the game. It's about brave adventurers delving dungeons and fighting monsters.

I wish they had not chosen to feature the "weird" races on the front cover. It's likely to put people off. That's probably why they changed it from the tiefling in the first place. The foreign distributors (and others perhaps) didn't want a demon on the front of the D&D books (again). That was never a good idea for PR, and it still isn't. As for the new one, it looks off-centered to me. They needed to crop the end of the uber-sword and shift the image to the left. I also prefer the female fighter on the tiefling cover to the Bustier of Support +1 worn by the mage. But I'm a GIRL, and so not the intended audience.

Cmarco

First Post
Sir Sebastian Hardin said:
Just a thought... If WAR is a must for the cover of the PHB.... how about his own version of the green dragon fight? (although I DO like it as is)

It is his version of the green dragon fight. I voted for the dragonborn/wizard cover, however. I chose it because the green dragon fight is the character sheet cover, and I figure that's fine by me.

HeinorNY

First Post
Darkwolf71 said:
It would have been really cool if the PHB had a group of adventurers, the MM had a big nasty dragon, and the DMG had them both facing off. (With obligitory treasure piles in the background.)

I'd like the following covers:

PHB: A group of adventures breaking into door or preparing for a combat against a group of monsters leaded by a dragon, in a dungeon. But the cover would only show the group in combat position.

MM: The same image, but showing only the monsters, preparing to attack the group.

DMG: An old and powerful wizard scrying the battle through his crystal ball or magical bowl.

Sphyre

First Post
Zamkaizer said:
You can't run a Green Dragon from the Player's Handbook. You can run a Dragonborn or Wizard from it though.

You can't dungeon from the players handbook, but you can play a halfling. Just because it appears on the cover doesn't mean it can be run. I think it's entirely too nitpicky.

The iconic picture of a group of adventurers in a dungeon fighting a dragon is a great concept for the cover of the most commonly used book in D&D, even if people don't like the actual art, the concept is solid.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Sir Sebastian Hardin said:
Just a thought... If WAR is a must for the cover of the PHB.... how about his own version of the green dragon fight? (although I DO like it as is)
*blinks* he has already done it... it IS painted by WAR. Therefore my comment that I feel that he definitively had more "fun" with it - it looks more inspired than the other too... (though it's only a gut feeling).

EDIT: Argh, the "Refresh"-Button should be my friend... especially with tabbed browsing!

Cheers, LT.

Pinotage

Explorer
If I were a newbie and I had to choose, I'd pick #3, simply because of the coolness factor. Pick up #1 and #2 and it's like 'What the hell is that', but pick up #3 and it's 'I get to fight a dragon!'. Much better to draw new players in.

Pinotage

Zinovia said:
I chose the dragon and the adventurers because it is the iconic image of D&D. I like the brighter contrast and the dynamic scene. The other pieces both look like covers for a fashion magazine rather than a scene from an adventure. The contrast is less vivid and the books don't stand out as much. I am sick of bared midriffs and decolletage on female adventurers. Let them dress sensibly at least on the cover? Please?

To me it doesn't matter that the dragon is prominent on the cover rather than just emphasizing the adventurers. It's D&D, and the primary book that most people will buy is the PHB. Make it clear from the cover what the game is about. Use something that evokes a true sense of the game. It's about brave adventurers delving dungeons and fighting monsters.

I fully agree. This is why the third option is the best of those provided for the PHB ... and it doesn't hurt that it harkens back to the basic set that brought a significant population to the game in the first place.

IMO, the other options would be OK for Character Record Sheets, or Complete Dragonborn, but the most iconic book in the game deserves a truly iconic image.

You listening, WotC?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I don't like the nose-horn dragon, so I went for dragonborn and wizard. I would have liked to see more members of a party in the picture though.

Cheers

Remove ads