• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Vote for your favorite 4E PHB cover!

Which PHB cover you prefer?

WheresMyD20

First Post
#3, hands down. A fighter, cleric, rogue, and wizard fighting a dragon in a dungeon is right to the point. There's no mistaking what game this is. Also, there's a level of action and adventure in the cover that the other two lack. It looks exciting.

Colmarr

First Post
I voted Dragonborn/Wizard.

Although I love the party vs dragon picture, I feel that the emphasis is too much on the dragon for it to be an appropriate illustration for the PHB.

I also think that the Dragonborn/Wizard colour has the best colouring of the 3 for a book cover. Tiefling/Fighter is overall too dark and Party vs Dragon is overall too light IMO.

Mephistopheles

First Post
Klaus said:
But it is the Dungeons & Dragons' handbook. All the basic rules are in the PHB, from character creation to skills to combat. You could run D&D with the PHB alone, but not the DMG or MM.

Anyway, I voted for Adventurers vs. Green Dragon.

Exactly how I feel. Out of any of the core books the PHB cover art should be showing you what D&D is about. Mugging for the camera isn't what D&D is about.

I've always felt that calling it the "Player's Handbook" is a bit of a misnomer because the DM probably uses the stuff in there as much if not more than the players. Calling it something like "Game Handbook" would be more accurate as well as seeing off this business of the cover art of the PHB having to focus on PCs.

Raith5

Adventurer
I voted for Adventurers vs. Green Dragon.

They are all good pictures but the green dragon picture is far far better than the tiefling which is better than the dragonborn one. The green dragon picture is much more evocative of what D and D is all about.

Klaus

First Post
ainatan said:
I know, I said "did you make the cover" regarding the D&D logo, etc.
Did you make the fake cover? :)
Sorta. I grabbed it from the other thread on the new cover art (iirc, Remathilis posted it). Then I noticed that I grabbed the cover still saying "Character Record Sheets". So I took the name and tagline bars from cover 1 and slapped them on cover 3. But the original idea wasn't mine.

EDIT: I just recalled another reason why I like "adventurers vs. green dragon". Back in Advertising college, I was taught that red colors inspire desire and need. So #3 is instictively more "grabbable" at a bookshelf. (trivia: yellow makes you feel empty, so red + yellow makes you hungry... like that fast food chain).

Last edited:

Captain Thark

First Post
When I see #3, I think of the best parts of D&D.

If I was a thirteen year old looking at book covers I would pick the third over the others. And, like it or not, that's who we want playing, so the hobby can keep going. It also hearkens back to older editions so the nostalgia factor is good.

Plus, I honestly don't think anyone is going to say "I would have bought fourth edition if only the cover art had tighter theming".

I like all of 'em. I still say, when the :):):):) are they going to turn up in WAR's online gallery?

At least I snagged the big, hi-res green dragon pic when it got posted the first time.

cougent

First Post
ainatan said:
I'd like the following covers:

PHB: A group of adventures breaking into door or preparing for a combat against a group of monsters lead by a dragon, in a dungeon. But the cover would only show the group in combat position.

MM: The same image, but showing only the monsters, preparing to attack the group.

DMG: An old and powerful wizard scrying the battle through his crystal ball or magical bowl.
I like this idea with one twist:
PH: From the monsters POV, a group of explorer's coming into a cave, or large dungeon chamber and prepparing for battle.

MM: The same scene in reverse from the players POV showing the Dragon and (unrealistic maybe but do it anyway) accomplices ready to attack the party. Put another way an "adventurers group" of various monsters.

DMG: The scene as viewed from the side through a crystal ball. No wizened wizard, just the overview of the scene (essentially the DM role in book cover format).

Just my NSHO. BTW I voted for the Green Dragon cover.

Incenjucar

Legend
You know what could be fun?

If the three books were all based on one picture.

So you could lay them side by side and get the full thing.

PHB with the characters facing to the right, DMG with a wizard in the background, with a scrying mirror or something, and the MM with a monster horde (4E is about more GROUPS of monsters, after all), led by a dragon, facing to the left.

Remove ads