• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

VTT Suggestions

ko6ux

Adventurer
Anyone have any suggestions on a Virtual Table Top program that is:

1. Lightweight
2. Easy to use
3. Preferably free

Basically all I need it a grid with the ability to draw lines, circles, etc for mapping, some sort of pogs to drop onto the map and a dice roller. If the program also has some method of tracking initiative, that would be cool, but not essential.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
You can find a great list of VTTs with short characterizations and links at the Battlegrounds site.

Personally, I'd like to push EpicTable as commercial program in open beta. It features only little in the way of automation, but actually implements the paradigm of a tabletop in a great way.

IronWolf

blank
However, there is a new lightweight one built on Google Hangouts called Tabletop Forge that has video chat, dice roller, maps/tokens and tracker.

Yeah - I would take a look at this one first. Pretty lightweight and low barrier to entry.

I would also consider MapTool. It will be slightly more complex to setup because someone needs to host the server which can be trouble if you aren't used to forwarding ports. It is capable of a whole lot, but it can also be quite simple to use if you don't want all the bells and whistles. It is free and runs on multiple OS's.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
We used MapTool for our 4e game with none of the bells and whistles and did just fine.

Tabletop Forge looks very appealing, I just can't figure out how to make it work.

Dannager

First Post
When I can get a VTT to work on my iPad (no flash), then we're talking.

If I recall correctly, Flash is only required to support video chat. I've also heard that they're working on a Google+ Hangouts client. I'm not sure what platforms that will require.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads