Waldorf!

Fieari

Explorer
The Mortiverse eats Pun Pun for breakfast. The poor little kobold just doesn't stand any kind of real chance.

Oh, and did you read Kiloton, above? Apocalypse from the Sky just doesn't come close. 6 Str/Dex/Con damage no save within 1000 feet of the epicenter? 40d6 fire, 60d6 bludgeoning (save for half)? And then that rather high fort save or simply be disintegrated, no matter how many HP you have?

How does that compare with a mere 10d6 single typed damage (granted, in a 10-mile radius, not in the 150/250/1000 ft radius of kiloton) that additionally causes you 3d6 con damage, 4d6 wis DRAIN, and 1d3 wis damage simply for having it prepared in the morning!

I mean, yowza! Give me a nuke over that any day!

dog45

First Post
Well, the WoTC boards are down, so you cant see the thread. But it tricked out the spell in a number of ways.

It applied the Energy Substitution: Electricity, Born of the Three Thunders, and then the Explosive Spell metamagic feats. Energy Sub was for Bo3T, Bo3T is to give it a reflex save. Now, whoever fails their reflex save within the radius is hurled to the limit of the radius, taking 1d6 per 10 feet traveled.

So, 20th CL for AftS equals 200 mile radius. There are 105,600 10ft squares in 200 miles, so thats 105,600d6 of damage to those who dont run into a tree or building or whatever.

And it was a Cheater of Mystra build, so it was cast as a supernatural ability, so they didn't need the material component. and they found a way to get around the ability damage for preparing it.

Fieari

Explorer
Ah, gotcha. It's less the spell that's horrible, and more the metamagic applied to it. I wonder how they managed to get the metamagic level adjustment down to 0, or alternatively, how they got higher level spells slots at level 20.

dog45

First Post
Easy Metamagic, Divine Metamagic. These help. Although I don't actually remember what the build used. I'll check when the stupid wotc boards come back up.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I recall hearing, way back when, that some MIT gamers had figured out how to make a nuke in D&D. First, you build a spherical globe mirrored on the inside. Then you get a Wizard inside. Said Wizard fires off a Lightning Bolt spell. Said lightning bolt bounces around in the sphere a lot and creates a plasma ball that goes off like a nuke. They figured all the physics involved, with the hard part being to get the Wizard inside to cast the LB spell.

rossik

Explorer
Ed_Laprade said:
I recall hearing, way back when, that some MIT gamers had figured out how to make a nuke in D&D. First, you build a spherical globe mirrored on the inside. Then you get a Wizard inside. Said Wizard fires off a Lightning Bolt spell. Said lightning bolt bounces around in the sphere a lot and creates a plasma ball that goes off like a nuke. They figured all the physics involved, with the hard part being to get the Wizard inside to cast the LB spell.

then again, the DM could say dsomething like " but the bolt was magical"
:D

Remove ads