Walking Dead, Season 2, midseason finale (spoilers)

Ahnehnois

First Post
How much is perception bias, though, I wonder?

Looking back on season 2 so far, think on all the action, suspense, drama & tension that has occurred. Every single episode has had all three in spades.

I remember the same things being said about Battlestar Galactica. I remember distinctly discussing an episode where the entire board was all in agreeance that it was a slow episode with little plot progression, action or drama. And yet, in that one episode alone they had several deaths, several major reveals, several significant plot twists, and several new plot threads. I was like... "Are we watching the same show?"
BSG would go quite a few episodes between space battles. The range of styles (soap oprera, political drama, action adventure, etc.) they used was part of what made the show work; you never quite knew what was coming.

TWD doesn't cover nearly the same range, but I do think that the slow pacing gives it more of a natural feel. It is very different than most of what's on TV, however, and that does make the wait between episodes a bit harder. There's also a certain similarity with the Wire in this regard. It's not necessarily bad, but I think spending half a season on this one farm does feel like a slow pace to me.

IronWolf

blank
I have fine with the pace of the second season so far. There has been enough action of satisfy my tastes and I think going to a zombie attack after zombie attack would grow old faster than this slower paced season two.

Now with that said, some of the character dramas themselves are getting a little drawn out and could use some improvement, but I am still satisfied with the show. Hoping this is sort of the turning point for Rick to be back to a little more of his leadership self, but we'll see.

Overall I am still enjoying the show and can't wait to start watching again after the mid-season break.

Janx

Hero
This is a pretty crappy justification to me. If Hershel's people don't notice when the number of zombies in their corral changes... well, I guess that justifies all of Shane's fears about how dangerous it was to keep them locked up in the first place.

It would seem rather foolish to expend food on feeding the zombies. To climb up and dump it in, and NOT take note of head count, or at least spend time talking to a loved one, hoping to get through.

Let alone, it took 3 men to wrangle 2 zombies from a river. And technically, even that was fraught with danger. There is no way Otis was gonna be doing it by himself.

the drama of having the deluded "boss" figure keep the zombies as sick people to be cured makes sense. And it was a nice surprise to have sophia turn up.

but functionally, it would have been damned difficult to wrangle zombies and maintain security in the barn. Resources would be tight enough that wasting them on zombies was foolish.

Heck, I can't believe how much ammo they wasted. Every bullet counts, if not today, then next year.

With the time wasted at that farm, they could have gone to a neighboring farm and cleared it out.

problem solved.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Resources would be tight enough that wasting them on zombies was foolish.

I've always felt that this was a mistaken assumption in a ZA scenario. ZA's typically have the virus spread so fast that the greater population of the world is basically wiped out in just a few months. That would actually leave immense amounts of resources just laying around for survivors to take as they please.

Lots of people assume that things like petrol, canned goods, ammunition would be in short supply in the aftermath, but I think that in an actual ZA, they would be plentiful.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I've always felt that this was a mistaken assumption in a ZA scenario. ZA's typically have the virus spread so fast that the greater population of the world is basically wiped out in just a few months. That would actually leave immense amounts of resources just laying around for survivors to take as they please.

Lots of people assume that things like petrol, canned goods, ammunition would be in short supply in the aftermath, but I think that in an actual ZA, they would be plentiful.

Some of the first things that would happen:
  • All flights would be grounded
  • All schools would be closed
  • More than likely people would be told not to leave their homes, stay off the roads

That means cars in drive ways, parking lots, at schools and airports all will have gas in them. Can goods would be in the homes and a number of stores would never have been breached.

Places that I would go, the coast. I see ships at dock to be a good stonghold, limited access, enough space to grow plants and have animal stock and proving a exit by water.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Some of the first things that would happen:
  • All flights would be grounded
  • All schools would be closed
  • More than likely people would be told not to leave their homes, stay off the roads

That means cars in drive ways, parking lots, at schools and airports all will have gas in them. Can goods would be in the homes and a number of stores would never have been breached.

Places that I would go, the coast. I see ships at dock to be a good stonghold, limited access, enough space to grow plants and have animal stock and proving a exit by water.

The problem with the coasts is that both the eastern US (New York, NJ, New England, Maryland, NC, GA, FL) and western US (Cal, Oregon, Washington) are pretty densely populated compared to the central US. Sure, there are exceptions both ways, but the coasts are also the area where you're going to see the most people and the most zombies.

IronWolf

blank
The problem with the coasts is that both the eastern US (New York, NJ, New England, Maryland, NC, GA, FL) and western US (Cal, Oregon, Washington) are pretty densely populated compared to the central US. Sure, there are exceptions both ways, but the coasts are also the area where you're going to see the most people and the most zombies.

Maybe head to the Great Lakes. They have some decent sized ships up there as well.

Janx

Hero

The problem is, most of those resources are where the zombies are.

Nobody ever really stays at home like they should. they all rush out to Walmart to stock up first. and get infected and die there or come home to get infected by their neighbor Bob who got infected at Walmart.

Once the power system goes off, good luck getting the gas pumps to work.
In fact, hoarding a good manual gas syphoning tool would be REALLY smart.

Don't count on any car having gas to syphon that isn't in somebody's driveway. Odds are good it's low on gas and was abandoned, or was left running while the owner was bering eaten.

By all means, there are plenty of supplies. They just might lie in enemy hands.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Maybe head to the Great Lakes. They have some decent sized ships up there as well.

True. In the book World War Z, a lot of people head up to Canada because the cold up there will hopefully freeze the zombies and stop them. Of course, if you're not prepared for the cold of Canada, you're going to freeze to death yourself...

Just finished the book Plague of the Dead - funny comment in there. The military refugee group escapes the Middle East on a US destroyer and the general in charge makes a comment about how they have weapons that can level a metropolis on the ship, but they're screwed when it comes to hand-to-hand combat against zombies because they don't have much extra in the way of rifles, pistols and extra ammunition for extended hand to hand combat.

Remove ads