• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wall of Fire Horizontally?

Ashtagon

Adventurer
While I normally am in favour of allowing house rules, letting wall of fire be cast horizontally would mean that no one would ever want to cast it vertically again.

Nomnath

First Post
I agree that the wall must be 20 feet high. If you want to cast one 20 ft wide, you could always get a friend to be a planar shephard in a plane w/ subjective gravity, use the bubble, then orient yourself sideways so that high is wide to the enemy.

Empirate

First Post
There follows an interesting question: If you cast Reverse Gravity, can you cast Wall spells in the area of the former to create a Wall that hangs off the ceiling? If you can, does the Wall come crashing down once Reverser Gravity ends/is dismissed?

Nomnath

First Post
In addition, what happens if the wall extends past the reverse gravity spell? Does that droop, does the entire wall exist as a diagonal? Is there jsut a sudden shift midway?

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
I've had this come up before and the way I handled it was thus: yes, it's a vertical wall of fire, but when the mage asked if he could make it horizontal, I had him make a Spellcraft check and then a Concentration check equal to 10+the spell level+2 (plus damage, since they were in combat), due to the altered nature of the spell. He tried and failed because he was damaged by arrow fire.

jefgorbach

First Post
why would you need the reverse gravity??? the spell's description merely states the creates a 20'h curtain of flame at the chosen location. nothing says it either begins on, nor needs to touch the ground so anchoring it vertically from the floor, a side-wall, or ceiling ALL seem acceptable uses ... depending upon how much of the given space you need/want to block.

casting it horizontally however seems like something that would require either a specialized variant researched, or at least successful arcane knowledge/concentration skill checks to see if it could be altered correctly on-the-fly.

jefgorbach

First Post
lol re-read it. I said the standard wall spells are VERTICAL, but could begin at either the ceiling, floor, or side-wall as needed to suit the caster's needs.

ie: you're in a 20'h x 25'w hallway with foes rushing towards you.
Extend the vertical wall 20'w from either side-wall reduces their passage to a 5'w opening if they want to avoid the flames. Alternately, hang it from the center of the ceiling to force them to slow down even further to slither thru the remaining 2.5'w openings left to either side.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads