Wand of Viscid Globs: Straight Out of Out of The Abyss!

The latest preview from Out of the Abyss, the upcoming (September 15th; Sep 4th in preferred stores) adventure for D&D 5th Edition shows a brand new magic item - the wand of viscid globs. This thing was crafted by the drow, and is used to restrain foes with viscous globs of slime.

The latest preview from Out of the Abyss, the upcoming (September 15th; Sep 4th in preferred stores) adventure for D&D 5th Edition shows a brand new magic item - the wand of viscid globs. This thing was crafted by the drow, and is used to restrain foes with viscous globs of slime.

Click here for all the other previews from this adventure!

CNM67xHUcAARgBQ.png

Uder

First Post
Says right in the description that it expands however big it needs to be. Seems to be that they intend this thing to be useful. Still, it requires an action and can miss.

Maybe it's even essential during an encounter in the adventure (either for or against PCs).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'd originally missed that there's no escape DC or anything. Yup Mr. Tarrasque, sucks to be you, stand still for the next hour. That one slipped by the playtesters!

You found the Tarrasque completely underground and away from any possible sunlight? I suppose it could be at night.

Ristamar

Adventurer
The number of targets is irrelevant--plenty of single-target spells require saves. The convention in D&D is that attack rolls are primarily about dealing damage. If you're imposing a major status effect, it should grant a saving throw.[/FONT]

I see your point. I suppose I should have stated that it seems to be emulating a "ray" effect like the Wand of Paralysis. As for the lack of a ongoing save, it is an oddity, though I assume the alcohol-as-solvent option is supposed to be a balance substitute for a save every turn.

Ultimately, I don't mind if some items break tradition to add flavor. It's probably not a showstopper when the item is used against the party. Unfortunately, it's less convenient for solo enemies (without teleportation options) or less intelligent creatures which makes me wonder why it's fairly easy to maintain its integrity once it's removed from the Underdark.

You found the Tarrasque completely underground and away from any possible sunlight? I suppose it could be at night.

Oh come on, you know what I mean. Melee monsters shouldn't be an auto kill on a single hit, and that is basically what this is. I get you love 5E, and I generally agree with you, but think this is poor design. I cant think of any other effects that work like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMCF

First Post
There are spells emulating daylight that I expect casters of the Underdark would use to blind, distract and confuse. Looks like it will be pretty common place in my caster NPC's spell book(s) now. If you as DM find this bring OP the UD is fortunately full of sneaky things. The party can find themselves captures and stripped of gear only to watch some drow tormenting an enslaved ogre use it up causing it to collapse into dust.

Remove ads

Remove ads