Wand of Viscid Globs: Straight Out of Out of The Abyss!

The latest preview from Out of the Abyss, the upcoming (September 15th; Sep 4th in preferred stores) adventure for D&D 5th Edition shows a brand new magic item - the wand of viscid globs. This thing was crafted by the drow, and is used to restrain foes with viscous globs of slime.

The latest preview from Out of the Abyss, the upcoming (September 15th; Sep 4th in preferred stores) adventure for D&D 5th Edition shows a brand new magic item - the wand of viscid globs. This thing was crafted by the drow, and is used to restrain foes with viscous globs of slime.

Click here for all the other previews from this adventure!

CNM67xHUcAARgBQ.png

You found the Tarrasque completely underground and away from any possible sunlight? I suppose it could be at night.

Underground and away from sunlight is the only time it's any threat at all.

I will not be using this wand as written. I might consider refluffing it to be an AC 10 50 HP blob of goo though. (In that case it wouldn't be all that different from a Giant Crocodile or Giant Constrictor Snake.)

Well, at least it's a new way to deal with the paladin problems people seem to be having.

On a more serious note: Not having a way to break free without an item is bad. But monsters should be made with ranged attacks as the default. Melee exclusivity in a game where players can do literally anything is just bad design.

Yes, this. And plinky little javelins with 30/120 range don't cut it as "ranged" either. Any monster without either a long-ranged attack or extreme mobility (teleportation, Earth Glide/burrowing, or similar) is just free XP.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Not a well thought out item. Creates an unbreakable material (why does it have to be unbreakable?) that restrains a creature of any size and strength (and substance - so I can stitch up the tarrasque, or a gargantuan fire elemental?) for a really long time. Because it's not a save it bypasses legendary resistance. It's a bit like petrification but that generally has multiple saves. The disappointing thing is that the problems are not hard to see but could have been easily fixed.
Agree, this item is OP. Sigh. I would allow a strength check DC 15 to break every round.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Here's Gary's version from Hall of the Fire Giant King:

...wand of viscid globs. The latter weapon is a metallic
baton which has 79 charges; each blob covers an area of 4
square feet with a gummy substance which adheres
various things together - hands to items held, arms to
shields, members to bodies. That is, whatever is covered by
it will stick permanently to any other such object. It is cut by
alcohol. however. The wand has a range of 6". The bond of
the blob is stronger than the substances bonded, and very
strong creatures will tear themselves apart trying to get free if
enough effort is exerted. A saving throw applies (but blobs
that miss must hit somewhere!),..

I think it's a pretty faithful recreation, weakened a bit by the sunlight and the "lasts one hour" clause. I'd still have added some kind of break DC though - If nothing else, remember that for truly titanic foes, the ground itself might be weaker than the glob... :D

werekraken

First Post
The target should be able to use an action to attempt a strength saving throw (DC 18, if you want that save to be very difficult, or DC 15 if you want the save to be just somewhat difficult) to break free. That is the way even very powerful spells like hold monster, work. It also makes a lot of sense.

Remove ads

Remove ads