D&D 3E/3.5 Wands in 3.5

Thanee

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
The fact that you have to spend a lot of money on a brand new one. If you allow recharging at increments of 1, ...

Not 1, you can only recharge back to 50 (under my proposal above, anyways).

Of course, you could use one charge and then immediately recharge, but I don't see the big advantage there. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Caliban

Rules Monkey
How about this as a house rule: You can only recharge items that you yourself have created.

Gives you a little extra benefit for spending the feat, without creating a new feat or making it freely available to everyone.

If that is still too good, say that when recharging your own items you don't get the 50% discount that you did when creating it.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Pyrex said:
Er, I think you may have misread him. As I understand what he meant was:

Creation cost for CL1 x SL1 wand = 375gp and 15xp. Each charge costs 1/50th of those costs or 7.5gp and 0.3xp.
You're right on Pyrex. Thanks for clarifying my statements.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The Iron Kingdoms Character Guide has some interesting rules for Mechanikal wands. They carry fewer charges (around 10 if I recall properly), but can be recharged. They are also both cheaper and heavier than a standard wand, containing a receptacle for the material components of the spell inside the wand. Kind of a tossup between which is better, since both Mechanikal and standard wands are available in the setting. (Though creating magic items with a high XP cost runs the risk of permanently losing hit points, the lower cost plays in favor of the Mechanikal wand in this case, fewer HP at risk...)

*EDIT* Hand Cannon #5 has a summary of the rules for creating Mechanikal items.

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

Shellman

First Post
IMO:

Depending on the type of campaign you are in, I suppose recharging would depend on whether it is a hi magic or low magic world.

As a DM I would rule that recharging would caost less than a new wand. Also recharging would have to have charges remaining in the wand or else all the magic is expended and the item is no longeruseful as a magic wand/ staff.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Caliban said:
How about this as a house rule: You can only recharge items that you yourself have created.

Excellent. Yoink'd.

I'd charge 50% gp and full XP for re-charging.

-- N

Infiniti2000

First Post
Pyrex said:
Er, I think you may have misread him. As I understand what he meant was:

Creation cost for CL1 x SL1 wand = 375gp and 15xp. Each charge costs 1/50th of those costs or 7.5gp and 0.3xp.
But, that's wrong. When you create that wand initially, it costs you 375gp and 30xp. By making it cheaper to recharge, you're making things a lot worse, not better.

Thanee

First Post
You can technically buy a wand with only one charge per the RAW (15 gp for sl/cl 1st).
You cannot create a wand with only one charge, tho.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads