War Mage plus Mage of the Arcane Order...

gnfnrf

First Post
Mistwell said:
The list of spells you can call this way is specific - the sorcerer/wizard list.

Why do you think this? Is there rules text that says the spells are drawn from the Sor/Wiz list that I'm missing?

--
gnfnrf

Sejs

First Post
Corsair said:
Rainbow... rainbow... what core spells involve rainbows?

The ones I feel are equally ridiculous for the exact same reason?

"I cast little-girl spray. I mean prismatic spray. *roll* Now does red turn you into Strawberry Shortcake or deal fire damage? I can never remember."

Thanee

First Post
gnfnrf said:
Why do you think this? Is there rules text that says the spells are drawn from the Sor/Wiz list that I'm missing?

Yes, but it does not mention, that it enables you to cast these spells.

IMHO you can only call and cast spells that are both... on your class list and on the sor/wiz list.

It does seem to be intended to work with spontaneous casters, however, despite the open, unused slot issues (apparantly, spontaneous slots are considered as such for this purpose).

The PrC text is unfortunately not written with these things in mind, but written purely from a wizard's perspective.

Bye
Thanee

Aaron L

Hero
Shellman said:
Just a note, there was an alternate Warmage option out of Dragon Magazine or one of the books. Instead of taking Advanced learning you can take the alt: Eclectic Learning.

Eclectic Learning can be taken in place of Advanced learning at any level which a Warmage would normally gain it. The two different abilities are interchangable, a Warmage ma select Advanced learning at a specific level then select eclectic learning the next time the Warmage would gain the ability.

Eclectic learning basically allows a Warmage to select a new spell that does not have to be an evocation spell, but it must still be of the sorcerer/ wizard spell list. I think there is some caster level adjustment to those spells (ie. a 6th level Wizard spell would be cast as a 4th level Warmage spell)

This is from PHB II and is the best option. You can pick a non Evocation spell from the Wiz/Sorc list as your Advanced Learning spell, but it's treated as one level higher for you.

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
You guys keep giving answers to the wrong question.

Forget about whether or not the Warmage (or any other spontaneous spellcaster) can cast Spell Pool spells that aren't on his spell list. For now, assume that he can. Assume that the player is willing to jump through all the hoops to take the prestige class.

Under those circumstances, and using the (prestige)classes as written without any DM editing, can the Warmage (or any other spellcaster) apply spell list specific abilities to Spell Pool derived spells?

Pbartender

First Post
KarinsDad said:
Actually, I specifically answered your question in post #19.

Yes, I know you did... Though you're suggesting that the DM is modifying the MotAO PrC, which has nothing to do with the question. I'm looking more for an interpretation of what's there in the book.

Sejs also answered in post #2.

I thank you both, but you've got to admit it's a pretty small sampling of opinions after 26 posts.

If it makes any difference, our DM (I'm just a player in this particular game) is leaning toward an interpretation similar to Sejs's.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thanee said:
Yes, but it does not mention, that it enables you to cast these spells.

The text of the spellpool says repeatedly that it is granting access to those spells, with some caveats (you have to have certain spell levels open, your debt cannot be too high, you have achieved sufficient level to have access to that tier of the spellpool, etc.). Granting access to me says it's, for the purpose of the next few minutes, considered part of your spell list for casting purposes and "...appears in the caster's mind at the beginning of the next turn and can can be used immediately". "...can be used immediately" is a statement of permission.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Pbartender said:
Under those circumstances, and using the (prestige)classes as written without any DM editing, can the Warmage (or any other spellcaster) apply spell list specific abilities to Spell Pool derived spells?

I say yes. For all purposes relevant to this discussion, you have "access" to spellpool spells, just as if they were on your spell list. You can call them, use them including casting them, and apply abilities to them just as if they were spells you had prepared through arcane preparation from your normal spell list.

Thanee

First Post
Pbartender said:
Forget about whether or not the Warmage (or any other spontaneous spellcaster) can cast Spell Pool spells that aren't on his spell list. For now, assume that he can. Assume that the player is willing to jump through all the hoops to take the prestige class.

I would probably just allow all the Warmage benefits on those spells, then.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads