D&D 5E War Never Changes: Fallout Inspired Post Apocalyptic Campaign?

Zardnaar

Legend
If you have to have paper, you have to have paper. But if it were me in your circumstances, I would forgo that requirement in the modern era.

Yeah I'm thinking about digital due to cost but more importantly space. I'll probably stop playing tbh if it comes to that. .

CandyLaser

Adventurer
Earthdawn does have its own system. The latest edition is back with FASA, I believe. I've played it in a few convention one-shots and had an enjoyable time. The rules are decent, about as complex as D&D, and the basics can be gotten across fairly quickly. The setting is great and worth reading about online even if you don't want to buy the books.

EDIT: Since I'm extolling its virtues somewhat, I should probably give a quick summary of the Earthdawn setting. Picture a pretty standard D&D fantasy world, complete with an evil empire that is sort of Rome-meets-Atlantis. They learn that in a few centuries, there will be an unstoppable magical disaster called the Scourge. During this time the ambient magic levels will be high enough for evil extradimensional demons called Horrors to flood into the world without needing to be summoned. You've got warning that it's coming, and you can't prevent it, so what do you do? You build kaers, magical fallout shelters. They're deep underground, they're massive complexes, they have entrances to the outside, but they're sealed, with layers and layers of defenses and traps to keep the demons ravaging the countryside from getting in. You herd people into these things and you wait it out. Cut to 400-some-odd years later. The first kaers open, and the survivors start exploring. The Earthdawn setting takes place a little bit after that point, once civilization has started to re-establish itself, so you have agriculture again, and cities, and the occasional multi-city polity like the remnants of the aforementioned Rome-meets-Atlantis evil empire. It's more Fallout 4 than Fallout 1; you don't have Mad Max style anarchy everywhere.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
For premade 5e things to get started, do any of the NZ shops have a stray copy of Goodman Games "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" Original Adventures Reincarnated? It's not post apocalyptic, but does have robots, mutant umber hulk, blasters, lasers, powered armor, random other equipment, etc... and lots of artwork.

Edit: Gack, a lot cheaper to get the 1e one and convert it yourself :-(

Reynard

Legend
Earthdawn does have its own system. The latest edition is back with FASA, I believe. I've played it in a few convention one-shots and had an enjoyable time. The rules are decent, about as complex as D&D, and the basics can be gotten across fairly quickly. The setting is great and worth reading about online even if you don't want to buy the books.
Yeah, I'm not suggesting using its rules. They are hella 90s. But the world is a masterclass in D&D post apocalypse.

Reynard

Legend
For premade 5e things to get started, do any of the NZ shops have a stray copy of Goodman Games "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" Original Adventures Reincarnated? It's not post apocalyptic, but does have robots, mutant umber hulk, blasters, lasers, powered armor, random other equipment, etc... and lots of artwork.

Edit: Gack, a lot cheaper to get the 1e one and convert it yourself :-(
Or even Esper Genesis, or UltraModern5.

Remove ads